Maestronet Forums

Soundpost Crack

Fiddler45

Myyyyyy......goodness......Isn't......that.....special??  :blink:  Jeffrey and David should see this, they might want to invite those gentlemen to demonstrate at Oberlin, or at least at the next VSA.  I would never have contemplated such a radical approach.  I.......stand helpless in......awe at the sheer........audacity of it.

Isn't that some of that glue with the bull on the label?

That final picture certainly should put Wind Gap Pennsylvania on the map.  The next thing, we'll find the town raising funds to build the VIOLIN-MAKERS HALL OF FAME.  Then the increased flow of tourists will lead to new hotels and motels and restaurants;  and soon the old timers will bemoan the good old days when a dog could sleep all day under the one traffic light and never have to move.  Warning: Progress has it's draw-backs, Wind Gapians.  Don't let this picture lead to the demise of your charming village!

That final picture certainly should put Wind Gap Pennsylvania on the map.  The next thing, we'll find the town raising funds to build the VIOLIN-MAKERS HALL OF FAME.  Then the increased flow of tourists will lead to new hotels and motels and restaurants;  and soon the old timers will bemoan the good old days when a dog could sleep all day under the one traffic light and never have to move.  Warning: Progress has it's draw-backs, Wind Gapians.  Don't let this picture lead to the demise of your charming village!

Laughed so hard I ended up with more coffee on my shoes than in my mug! LOL

That looks shockingly like elmers glue, judging by the large wet pool all over what looks like an open top plate seam (I honestly hope Im seeing things) he isnt using it to gently peel off encrusted residue ...

i am imagining what the inside looks like, perhaps a new term is in order for the drips that must be hanging from the belly.

Stalag-tightbonds

Reese

Using that analogy, more current terminology would be "violinothems" (which would include protrusions of all shapes, sizes, and directions of growth) :lol:.  I was considering whether the intention here might actually be to produce those as surrogate cleats, since it's rather obvious that the "restorers" didn't remove the belly.  One must simply praise their noninvasive minimalism.

It's a pity that we lack an account of their placement of the sound post following this.crack remediation (why of course they replaced the soundpost [What?? Guitars don't have one?? Ohhhh]). 

I feel certain that this entire procedure should be submitted to "The Strad" by next March for the April "Tricks Of The Trade"

I just cringe when I see this stuff...and I've seen lots of it.  There was a fiddler in my area who liked to call himself a luthier as well and he used white glue on everything...for about 40 or 50yrs this is how he would treat "clients" instruments.  He gave his hand to hacking out a few violins too and when I was in the back of his shop there were three of these instruments hanging on the wall with seams and fingerboards popped open/off...all white-glued up..

I went to the website of the "Brothers" that executed the pictured "repair" and it seems like they had sensible work as guitar luthiers (for Martin)..I don't get why they wouldn't refer the work elsewhere or have the knowledge to at the very least use hide-glue...maybe just laziness.  The old fiddler apparently had hide-glue and a glue-pot that worked but I guess was too lazy to make up some glue...

And did the repair guy hold that crack closed for a few hours..or is that what the tape in the ff's is for?

It actually angers me when I see such things; people taking advantage of folk who just don't know better...folks just looking to have their instrument fixed. :angry:

Such a cute little fiddle....  Generations of kids may have learned on it.  Generations more might have done so.  

I am literally wiping tears from my eyes. 

Mac

You're not the only one.  We might also consider the tragedy of young would-be luthiers who watch and listen at their local "music shop" and get indoctrinated with "high quantity" practices like this :(:angry: .

well, whilst we're on the same subject... I guess I love how superior they are about "another supposed luthier"... hmm.

Well, YEE-HAW!  They seem to be rather successful.  This kind of thing is why people ask me why my crappy looking old violins cost so much compared to "those right purty new fiddles on eBay" and suggest that if i did "decent refinishing" I'd sell more.  It looked to me like they removed the original professional repairs and replaced them with Titebond joints with wide continuous paper strip cleating as well as stripping it to bare wood and replacing the varnish with a spray finish (probably polyurethane).  But darn, it's soooooo pretty now, and, you gotta admit, it don't sound too bad neither, haw, haw, haw :wub::(

It wouldn't surprise me if they did it in a single day and charged a flat hundred bucks.  God alone knows what the setup's like.  Do you ever worry that when we advise people to "patronize their local shops" that this might be where we're sending them?

well, if that's too much for you, there's always the possibility of surviving 20 minutes of this soundpost crack video! 

Top tip: Turn your volume all the way up, it won't help a bit! :)

(the repairs are utterly awful, btw.)

I love the care that went into the repair of the soundpost crack...and then they leave the carved-out 8 inch bass bar alone and the  beaver-graduated top.

well, if that's too much for you, there's always the possibility of surviving 20 minutes of this soundpost crack video! 

Top tip: Turn your volume all the way up, it won't help a bit! :)

(the repairs are utterly awful, btw.)

Please stop :o

That is just too grim for words!

The CIA showed me that video over and over until I told them where OBL was.  Actually, they only showed it to me once; but they DID threaten to show it to me again.  :)

Will, before anyone on Maestronet mistakes your post for good humour, this is what happened to one person who the CIA  forced to watch it more than once... apparently she was Amanda Chapman's sidekick and a virtuoso violinist before... is this what we call extraordinary rendition? 

(I actually don't know if this is spoof or real)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsOT1eitju8