Maestronet Forums

You have to admire the nerve................

Violadamore

If they sound good, maybe you have been!

As a side note, I saw an ad on ebay this morning that said "no reserve" in the title, yet the bid started at $850. That, uh, kinda seems like a "reserve" to me...like around $850!

No bids...weird...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Violin-No-Reserve-/181116140140?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2b5cfa6c

No, no, no, that's just a starting bid.  I wonder why nobody's bidding?  If you set a starting bid of say, a buck and a half, it implies the item is worthless, but lots of bidders appear.  With a starting bid of $850.00, it much be so much a better item!!!! :lol:

(Who says Yanks can't do sarcasm??)

No, no, no, that's just a starting bid.  I wonder why nobody's bidding?  If you set a starting bid of say, a buck and a half, it implies the item is worthless, but lots of bidders appear.  With a starting bid of $850.00, it much be so much a better item!!!! :lol:

I agree with recent sentiments that chat rooms should have "like" buttons.

Who ever says we can't do sarcasm needs to be shot!?

Old* violins priced below 2k usd/euros normally are priced based primarily on sound as well as craftsmenship, unfortunetly on ebay you cannot evaluate such things so it becomes very difficult to price instruments based on what you have available.

I am curious, what should this violin be priced at?

It's billed as a no-name late 19th. century Markneukirchen violin, more commonly known here as a "trade fiddle".(Jacob Saunders frequently uses another term).  Even with a great setup (including the Evah's noted) and magnificent sound (which can't be evaluated over the Internet), I feel that $1000 would be about tops, and from eBay like this, $500 or so is more like it probably.  You do see some price aberrations occasionally in regular auctions, and a large violin shop might ask this much and get it, but that's the way to bet.  Let's just say that this seller impresses me as an extreme optimist, if nothing else :lol:. .

I just noted that the price seems to have dropped by $250 since I first noticed it.

Actually full retail the price wouldn't be so outrageous at all, if it didn't have that horrible, presumably unpatched soundpost crack, which drops it down to about $100, this seller and I go back I think, not sure if he bought from me or vice versa. Yeah I think this is the guy I bought a potential $6000 english baroque fiddle with screwed on neck for $300 and wholesaled it, it needed a lot of work, for $1400.Can't talk bad about that!! just checked my ebay feedback, and I bought from him, not sure which great baroque violin, though as I bought two, one from texadman