Brass Pillar Clamps and Vulpex

I went to order the brass pillar clamps from Cremona tools today and was dismayed that the shipping costs (around 45 E) were almost as much as a set of five clamps. I contacted a luthier stateside a couple of months ago and he no longer carries them. There's a less expensive steel version of them that are adjusted by means of a hex wrench (available from the US) for only $6 each, I guess I'll give those a shot. I'm not sure if anyone here has tried the steel clamps, or if they can offer an alternative source for the brass clamps. 

I'm also planning on ordering 100ml of Vulpex from Conservation Resources Int'l, not many people seem to carry it stateside.

There is a guy in Canada that has a steel version that uses a thumb screw to adjust it just like the brass ones. And I like them. At $10 usd each. Unfortunately I don't have his contact info anymore. There was a thread about a year ago about them though.

Good luck

Jesse

Yes, the shipping costs are prohibitive...

Try contacting Christian Schabbon in Boston (He posts on the board).  He may have some of the brass G clamps or know where to get them.  His website is http://www.schabbon.com

Vulpex is available from Kremer: http://kremerpigments.com/shopus/index.php?cat=0702&lang=ENG&product=78052

What I like about Tom's clamps are that the don't have flat parallel jaws.  They have hooks on them and I can put them at an angle on the spruce towers and they bite in.  Having them bite in at an angle gives me an advantage in pulling the crack  (with help from the wedges)the way I want it. They are also very light, which is really nice not pulling the setup in any direction.   Not withstanding, I would like some of the parallel jaw type (like what Christian used to get) for some things.  I'm just waiting until I trip across them someday!!   jeff

You can buy these thumb screws from an industrial supply house (Grainger, MSC etc) as well as the tap and make a dozen of them in an hour or two.

This photo is just for illustration. I also have these with the screws on alternate sides which can be useful for certain repair situations.

notice the use of the wedge to help align stubborn cracks.  :wub:  

Oded

post-95-0-22529100-1364555573_thumb.jpg

I'm new to using Vulpex. I've read that the recommended ratio of water to soap is 7 parts water to 1 part soap, so I'll keep the mixture lean, Thanks for the heads up.

Conservation Resources Int'l has the lowest price on the Vulpex ($18 for 100ml), but I've never dealt with them, so I'm not sure how their service is, they don't appear to have online ordering. I've never dealt with Kremer pigments before. Their price on Vulpex is $4 more, but if there shipping is fast and service good, that may be a better route to go. 

This is all the hardware you need to make your own tower clamps. I used brass but you can also use plastic which is cheaper, lighter and non corrosive. You can even mix and match plastic thumb nuts and brass rods. I used scrap maple and tapped it to fit then 1" screw stud.

Oded

post-95-0-38722900-1364562190_thumb.jpg

I'm new to using Vulpex. I've read that the recommended ratio of water to soap is 7 parts water to 1 part soap, so I'll keep the mixture lean, Thanks for the heads up.

Conservation Resources Int'l has the lowest price on the Vulpex ($18 for 100ml), but I've never dealt with them, so I'm not sure how their service is, they don't appear to have online ordering. I've never dealt with Kremer pigments before. Their price on Vulpex is $4 more, but if there shipping is fast and service good, that may be a better route to go.

Kremer are great to deal with. You can call them up and have your stuff a few days later.