Maestronet Forums

Look Ma, no saddle!

David Burgess

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it too.

If you were to make the part that goes down towards the button long, you could make the saddle higher or lower, or even adjustable.

It could be very useful for trying out and adjusting string angles over the bridge. Think I'll try that.

If you're talking about it extending far enough to rest on the endbutton, that might end up with reduced enough net side force on the endbutton to allow it to pop out.

A shim under the thingamajig might do the trick.

I was also thinking it could be molded perfectly to the edge, or adjusted for height by putting a little epoxy on the underside, and a release agent like cling film or aluminum foil on the fiddle.

I'm wondering if it might be a source for edge cracks.  There looks to be quite a bit of downward torque applied to the spruce that is out over the edge, the wood here already quite weak from the purfling channel in front.  Might the stress over time crack this edge area even if the purfling stops the crack from propagating into the plate? 

The conventional saddle applies these forces to the block and block supported plate edge.

Best regards,

E

Many moons ago, we were discussing alternatives to the conventional saddle.

Think something like this is too ugly and unconventional to fly? It just sits there, held on by tail adjuster tension.

Aluminumsaddle.JPG

David,

What's it made of?  My first thought was "blued steel", but I see that that ain't it.   Is it wood, or plastic?

Mac

David,

What's it made of?  My first thought was "blued steel", but I see that that ain't it.   Is it wood, or plastic?

Mac

It's aluminum sheet, bent with a die (drill rod on one side, soft wood on the other side, squeezed in a vice), and colored using the high-tech Magic Marker coating process. Could be anodized or powder coated, I suppose. Or polished stainless?

Oh, gold plated!! Dang! Then Jacob might even use 'em on Strads that haven't had the saddle mortise cut out yet. :D

It's aluminum sheet, bent with a die (drill rod on one side, soft wood on the other side, squeezed in a vice), and colored using the high-tech Magic Marker coating process. Could be anodized or powder coated, I suppose. Or polished stainless?

Oh, gold plated!! Dang! Then Jacob might even use 'em on Strads that haven't had the saddle mortise cut out yet. :D

Carbon fiber would be very neat as well.