Sign in to follow this  
Dean_Lapinel

Interesting violin head

Within an e-mail reminder that the Tarisio auction ends tomorrow there is a teaser image of a Guadagnini "The Berkova" head. I find this image fascinating and was wondering if someone has additional images of this instrument. I cannot find images on the internet and I would have to wait until April when Tarisio opens their catalog.

Any help?

Dean

dean , I`m not sure what image your refering to. The sale ending today is the tonewood sale. I got a similar email but no reference to a guadagnini??

It was near the bottom of the reminder mailing. I'll post a link here since it is "educational" and certainly doesn't hurt Tarisio since it promotes their sale:http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/7547/saleboxmay20132.png

Yes, help from Ethan or any Guad expert would be nice. I was taken by this scroll's look, especially noting that the most narrow point was so low and far from tradition but...it looks great (at least in my opinion).

It's from the middle of his Milan period where he first begins to take Strad seriously, rather than his Straddish Piacenza period where he didnt quite get the point. Plus he had access to a great varnish and some high quality wood. These are superb instruments but they don't have quite the same slavish attention to Strad as his Turin period with Cozio on his back.

You are right to feel teased.... This one is a really superb example, and as you see on the shot of the scroll, a really uninhibited making style at this stage.