Maestronet Forums

What's on your bench? (mk7)

Don Noon

I started posting this violin a while back but it fell from it's hanger and hit the floor and busted the top. I had to make a new top and then revarnish. Anyway it goes to it's new home in the morning.

Rosewood, ebony and spruce.

post-5140-0-08778400-1366156438_thumb.jpg

post-5140-0-40831900-1366156451_thumb.jpg

post-5140-0-61221000-1366156464_thumb.jpg

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rybak

FEED ME MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to those who do not know of the World Wrestling Federation...another American entertainment...but the athletes are pretty incredible.

On another note...I found in the video that his violin was'nt very loud including his solo...compared to the vocalist...it seemed a bit unbalanced.Was it the recording?

Carlo drop anchor...

I started posting this violin a while back but it fell from it's hanger and hit the floor and busted the top. I had to make a new top and then revarnish. Anyway it goes to it's new home in the morning.

Rosewood, ebony and spruce.

Nice work as always Barry.  I'm glad to see that your photography skills are flourishing as well!

We've called it the "Contemporary Maker's Gallery". Enjoy!

Great!

Would it be a good idea to transfer the past "What's on your bench" threads to the new forum, as well?

And, I think it'd be helpful if you could pin a set of rules specific for the new forum, too.

Thanks for your work, we all appreciate it. 

Since these threads are so popular .... we've created a forum just for "What's on your bench". We've called it the "Contemporary Maker's Gallery". Enjoy!

Excellent!  It'll be nice if that takes off, just having everything readily available for ogling without searching.  Is it intended as a gallery of finished instruments, leaving this thread for works in progress, or what?

This is on my bench...and following the baroque fingerboard nicks thread, I am not sure I should post those pictures here :-)

This one has a maple fingerboard and tailpiece veneered with ebony. Inspired by the brother Amati viola c.1620.

I have made another one with maple fingerboard and accessories, see here: http://www.thomasbrenneur.com/en/gallery/8-baroque-instrumentsbows/185-brother-amati-viola-1620-copy

post-25220-0-31422800-1366850515_thumb.jpg

post-25220-0-66612300-1366850667_thumb.jpg

post-25220-0-61831400-1366850685_thumb.jpg

Hi Jacob,

The maple is not bent, its carved like a normal (but baroque) fingerboard. The ebony is bent and is about 1.5mm thick, you can find multiple techniques on how to do that here: http://www.fiolinmaker.no/en/tips_tricks/gripebrett.php or in the trade secret from the strad http://www.orpheusmusicshop.com/makers-making/SL265.html

Hope that helps.

-Tom

Michael,

That's a very clean cello garland.

Looking at your photo I wondered whether there would be any use to stiffness measurements of garlands. This is a thought with no particular theory in mind.  The basis for this idea stems from claims that a stiff garland is desirable. Maybe. Maybe not. Perhaps the Wizard of Carlsbad  :)  could comment.

Mike

"Wizard of Carlsbad", huh?  I guess that means me.

Yes, I have had thoughts about this ever since I made a batch of 4 garlands at once, and one garland was obviously much stiffer than the rest by the hand flex method.  The signature mode frequencies seemed to end up higher than I would have expected based only on the plate modes, especially the CBR.  But I'll take this opportunity to voice my opinion that these low body mode frequencies get far too much attention, and don't really define the tone as much as the higher frequencies do.

I had thoughts of a modest fixture to measure garland stiffness, but for now I'll just hand-flex them and make notes about how stiff they seem to be.  I'll put in the extra effort for measurements if I think it matters any more than that.

I've done a few tests with garland stiffnesses, essentially measuring the mode frequencies and amplitudes before and after trimming the linings to a triangular profile. I didn't see anything worth looking into further. Perhaps thinning the ribs themselves might have a larger effect? I haven't really looked into that but I have tried gluing little cross grain braces to the outside of the middle bout ribs to see if extra crossgrain stiffness would do anything, I don't think it did.

Hi all;

I plan on letting this opus of "what's on your bench?" run it's course for a few days.  At that point, I was considering locking it and providing a link (pinned) on the new forum: http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/forum/12-contemporary-makers-gallery/

Sound reasonable?  Suggestions?

Hi all;

I plan on letting this opus of "what's on your bench?" run it's course for a few days. At that point, I was considering locking it and providing a link (pinned) on the new forum: http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/forum/12-contemporary-makers-gallery/

Sound reasonable? Suggestions?

I think they're different animals. Most content posted in the Pegbox WOYB doesn't elicit many comments - but people seem to share brief shots in this format and short discussions spin from it. It's definitely been a highlight of the Pegbox since it started. People use it.

It'll be interesting to see if folks are willing to post individually to do the same thing in the new Gallery. I see a couple people have stuck they're necks out to try. It makes me wonder if that forum will be composed of threads that really just become maker specific WOYBs?

Could a generic WOYB be started there? Or, is that to be avoided? Regardless, the Pegbox WOYB thread will be missed...at least by this luser - I mean user ;)