I have violin with label: Ignatius Cristianus Partl fecit Vienna 1786. Anybody knows how much it can cost? I would like to sell it.

I have photos of it (don't know how to put images here in this topic). If anybody is interesting in it I can send them. 

I have violin with label: Ignatius Cristianus Partl fecit Vienna 1786. Anybody knows how much it can cost? I would like to sell it.

I have photos of it (don't know how to put images here in this topic). If anybody is interesting in it I can send them.

Since you're new there is a possibility that you can't yet post images (not past your probation). I suggest you post the pictures to a sharing site like imgur.com and post a link to them here.

Ok, gentlemen, please check me on this.  To me it looks like a circa 1885 Markneukirchen/Schoenbach German trade fiddle with multiple cracks including a soundpost crack and probably pegbox cracks.  The entire rib area at the endpin needs replacement.  There are also open seams here and there.  It needs at least one new peg and a good setup in general.  I would estimate repairs from the more experienced hands here (those who would touch it) would run you at least $2000.00 and probably much more.  In its current condition, you'd be lucky to get $100.00 for it on eBay, with repairs it might get $500 to $750, again, with luck.

[drops a curtsey and runs off the stage :lol: ]

Ok, gentlemen, please check me on this.  To me it looks like a circa 1885 Markneukirchen/Schoenbach German trade fiddle with multiple cracks including a soundpost crack and probably pegbox cracks.  The entire rib area at the endpin needs replacement.  There are also open seams here and there.  It needs at least one new peg and a good setup in general.  I would estimate repairs from the more experienced hands here (those who would touch it) would run you at least $2000.00 and probably much more.  In its current condition, you'd be lucky to get $100.00 for it on eBay, with repairs it might get $500 to $750, again, with luck.

Dear VdA,

I think one could also have an alternative theory. That it, once upon a time, was a regional Austrian or Bohemian violin from +/- 1800, which has had the varnish sanded off (together with all the sharp edges). I certainly wouldn’t want to touch it, even for $2000, neither do I think that that would make the desired difference, working on the principle, “what isn’t there any more, is gone”

Dear VdA,

I think one could also have an alternative theory. That it, once upon a time, was a regional Austrian or Bohemian violin from +/- 1800, which has had the varnish sanded off (together with all the sharp edges). I certainly wouldn’t want to touch it, even for $2000, neither do I think that that would make the desired difference, working on the principle, “what isn’t there any more, is gone”

Dear Jacob,

Thank you much.  In that case, would have the blackening of the pegbox interior been original or later?

BTW, I simply listed what i think would be necessary to make it salable, not desirable :) .If it's been vandalized to the extent you suggest, it can't be restored to its original historical condition, only made into something else.  If you "restored" it totally, to a theoretical original state, you'd be making a replica, IMHO.

You possibly touch on a sore point there. When I get up in the morning and walk into my workshop, I like to imagine that my work is actually worth it, rather than just paying the mortgage.

I would generally expect the pegbox of an 18th C. violin in absolutely untouched original condition (from almost any geography), i.e. the exact opposite of this violin, to have the same varnish as the rest of the violin as far as the brush would reach and naked (dirty) wood thereafter.

Viola D'

I suspect that it would go for a bit more that $100 of Ebay.  Some folks (like me) collect those inlaid tailpieces, and this would drive up the price over what you would otherwise expect. That tailpiece is in pretty nice condition, and by its self would go for $50.

Mac

Pity. I love seeing birdseye maple used (I presume that's what it is in thos case?)

Referencing this, what Martin said, and the comments on the tailpiece, yes, it is. It's beautiful wood.  I would reuse the tailpiece, (and the gut if possible, it's real).  I seldom see these without inlay missing.  I would LOVE to see this violin repaired to playable condition, but if the visible cracks are (as I would suspect) either un- or badly repaired, the soundpost crack alone will require a serious inlaid patch  Even from small fry like me, that is not a cheap proposition if done as painstakingly as one would like it to be.  Add in the other cheaper stuff that obviously needs doing, and the OP's profit from any sale would probably be erased without any serious restoration, unless of course, the instrument sounds fantastic when the repairer is done with it.  Capitalizing on that, however, would require a sale where the buyer could handle the violin and evaluate its performance, which rules out internet venues like eBay.