Maestronet Forums

Vuillaume workshop rosin

trevor30

Hey all,

New to the forum but I have a unique old piece that I wa looking for more info on. It's a small box of rosin with a label on top that has a French sentence followed by the name Vuillaume. I know it's old, but I've only been able to find one image online and was trying to dig up a little more info about its history, collectibility, rarity, value any and all info would be great.. Thanks alot! I will post a picture when I figure out how haha

• 4 years later...

I'm curious, too.  I've got a chunk of the same stuff that was in the case with my violin when I got it; the box looks old.  I know nothing about the violin, but if I had an idea of how old the rosin is, the violin should be about the same age.  The label says "Deus Medailles d'Or", Vuillaume, Rue Croix 46 Paris, Made in Cechoslovakia. 

Interesting spelling of what is now called Czechoslovakia, and that it's in English. 

• 2 years later...
On 11/30/2017 at 7:23 PM, parrot48910 said:

Vuillaume, Rue Croix 46 Paris,

this may be the old vuillaume shop, om the corner, now a bar and a shoe store.  when i encounter a famous address i usually have to check it out virtually in person

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8648651,2.3404751,3a,48.9y,121.49h,77.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZH0grLOCqa2SAjO_H6mXhA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Violin repairers/ shops either throw it away, keep the odd one to crush and make rosin powder (which has some applications), or keep them and collect a bigger and bigger box of the stuff over the years. I've got about a shoe box of them now. There are hoarders for everything, not sure you can call it collecting and not sure there is a market for it.

For playing it will be useless. Discerning players like to use a fresh cake and replace it frequently. It tends to harden up with time, some say within a year.

As an indication of age for a violin it may tell you when a violin was put into storage, if that. It's a lot easier to just look at the violin if you want to know how old it is.

I'm afraid no treasure here.

On 2/24/2013 at 4:44 AM, trevor30 said:

Hey all,

New to the forum but I have a unique old piece that I wa looking for more info on. It's a small box of rosin with a label on top that has a French sentence followed by the name Vuillaume. I know it's old, but I've only been able to find one image online and was trying to dig up a little more info about its history, collectibility, rarity, value any and all info would be great.. Thanks alot! I will post a picture when I figure out how haha

The real rosin sold by Vuillaume (while in Rue Croix des Petits Champs) looks like this. I understand much of the rosin was prepared by the bowmaker F.N. Voirin and his wife.

1367171075_JBVrosin01.JPG.dfcd857fa35363a22785d7a91f6c12b5.JPG

310439287_JBVrosin02.JPG.33759e18d6eea604c464145bb1ba49b0.JPG

he might have a genuine voirin then.

i just noticed this architectural decoration of scrolls beside the windows.  could they have survived 170 years?  could it have had the same street number for 170 years?  if the bar has email i'm going to write and have them change the name to "vuillaume's place".  the waitresses can wear those fez hats.

vil.png

On 11/30/2017 at 7:23 PM, parrot48910 said:

I'm curious, too.  I've got a chunk of the same stuff that was in the case with my violin when I got it; the box looks old.  I know nothing about the violin, but if I had an idea of how old the rosin is, the violin should be about the same age.  The label says "Deus Medailles d'Or", Vuillaume, Rue Croix 46 Paris, Made in Cechoslovakia. 

Interesting spelling of what is now called Czechoslovakia, and that it's in English. 

Czechoslovakia came into existence in 1918

3 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

he might have a genuine voirin then.

i just noticed this architectural decoration of scrolls beside the windows.  could they have survived 170 years?  could it have had the same street number for 170 years?  if the bar has email i'm going to write and have them change the name to "vuillaume's place".  the waitresses can wear those fez hats.

Many other bow makers worked for Vuillaume and besides, it's not a bow but a cake of rosin.