Sign in to follow this  
confusedone

First violin, choice.

Hey, still trying to buy my first violin. Looking for one around the 750-1000 price range.
Looking at a August Kohr k565 that I found for under $700. Does anyone have any other violin suggestions, or advice.

Con,

Before I write, what is your background?  Have you played for a while?  Do you have a teacher?  Do you have enough experience to judge how well a violin is set up?

Con,

Before I write, what is your background?  Have you played for a while?  Do you have a teacher?  Do you have enough experience to judge how well a violin is set up?

No to all, I am completely new to violins. 

OK,

In a way you are in a vulnerable situation, since it will be hard for you to judge what is good, better, or best for what you are spending.  If you are thinking of getting a teacher, I'd recommend you wait and ask for advice and help from him/her.  

In your case, the August Kohr ought to be a nice enough choice.  The only thing that I like to recommend is to use local shops if they seem good and if a player can try quite a few violins in his price range;  but in your case, unless someone advises you, playing a lot of violins might not help too much.

IMO, the above ways of buying will be MUCH BETTER AND SAFER than buying a violin from a private party or on line.  People often sell  violins that have problems—sometimes hidden—which might cost you a small fortune to fix.  Buying from a Core, or Shar, for example, or a shop should assure you won't have problems.

Hopefully some others will chime in too.  Maybe I've missed something.  Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy learning to play.

Well, welcome to our elite musical Eden, watch out for the serpents :)

You might look in at the player's forum here,  "The Fingerboard".  Players and teachers hang out over there.

My advice is slow waaaayyyyy down and don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket.  Locate and talk to local players, and if your local high school has an Orchestra, contact the instructor and see if they will offer any advice. Same goes for local colleges. Contact local violin teachers. Then check out what the shops in your area have (i. e., look at it all before you spend anything),   Keep reading stuff here and follow lots of links, maybe download some books from free online archives. Good luck.

You could always rent a violin and see if you are going to stick with it before spending lots of money on your first.  If you purchase, many violin shops will allow you to trade up, so you can start cheap and work your way up to a higher quality violin and bow as your skill and knowledge increases.

This is what I have been wrestling with in the thread I started about violin worth. It boggles my mind that someone who has never played before is ready and willing to throw up $1000 for their first instrument. I just sold one for $750 to a longtime friend of mine who is an advanced player, and who has been playing on an instrument for the past 15 years or so that cost $3000.

OP, I agree with the above...rent one until you are sure playing the violin is for you...otherwise you may end up  being one of those people with an ad on craigslist... "Bought this beautiful violin brand new two years ago, don't play anymore. Bought new for $1000, will sell for $600 obo".

And still no one will want it because it didn't come from a dealer.

Buy a decent Chinese fiddle, direct from the maker if possible.

This is a pretty good idea. I got my first violin from amazon.com. It's a Chinese violin and has served me quite well. When I received it I took it to a local violin shop and have them take a look to make sure it wasn't a VSO (and to tune it, since I had no idea how at the time!) It's the DZ strad model #400 (though I think they discontinued that one). The strings weren't so good but the instrument was set up correctly and properly made from the correct woods. I think the ones they sell now come with dominant strings. They also throw in a bow, case, fine tuners, spare bridge, and rosin. The bow, frankly, is a bit cheap so you might want to replace that after a few months. 

You could always rent a violin and see if you are going to stick with it before spending lots of money on your first.  If you purchase, many violin shops will allow you to trade up, so you can start cheap and work your way up to a higher quality violin and bow as your skill and knowledge increases.

This is an even better idea. Violin rental fees aren't a whole lot and you can rent-to-own at some places, like my local shop.