Maestronet Forums

Guaranteed immortality is now available to violin makers

Julian Cossmann Cooke

That's right folks.  You may not have progeny with a name like Omobono.  But fret not (clearly no pun intended -- this is a violin not a guitar making forum!).  You too can live on in the annals of our trade.  And not only in your own instruments but now in those of those who follow in your toolmarks.

I give you -- the Bio Urn.  http://www.funeraire-urne.fr/en/cremation-urns/urn-bios-detail

Simply have your cremated remains deposited in the cup along with spruce or maple seed, have your urn planted in the appropriate setting for optimal growth, and designate the resulting tree for harvest and sale to the violin makers of tomorrow!

[DISCLAIMER: This posting does not constitute a commercial endorsement.  The poster holds no financial or other interest in the company offering this product.]

I'm immortal already, thanks

Me too.  My atoms will still be around, somewhere, for quite a long time.  I don't think I'll care much where they are. 

If Stradivari was supposed to be so smart, why didn't he think of that? ;)

He did... but then thought, "Who is going to know that's my tree?"  So he made stuff people would remember.

Our planet is almost a closed system, so Stradivarius violins sound good because it contains atoms of a t-Rex recycled through a mammoth eaten by a voracious homo erectus who later emigrated from america to Italy where he started a successful family later called homo sapiens. the last survivor was buried along all his ancestors in the forest where later most luthiers came to cut wood.

I've considered setting aside money to have a friend go around the world to the best shops and deposit a little of my ashes through the Fs of every great violin he can find, while the dealers aren't looking, until either the ashes or the money runs out.

I've also thought of having my ashes buried in a fancy violin case, because some of them are so nice in the last few years, I have been saying, "Gosh, I should be buried in something so nice!"

I think the effort and energy required to thermally process me into ashes isn't justifiable. 

A little less heat and I might obtain a desirable speed of sound and low damping, ideal for soundboards.

Or we could really go green, with minimal energy and maximum recyclability:

Soylent Green!

I've considered setting aside money to have a friend go around the world to the best shops and deposit a little of my ashes through the Fs of every great violin he can find, while the dealers aren't looking, until either the ashes or the money runs out.

I've also thought of having my ashes buried in a fancy violin case, because some of them are so nice in the last few years, I have been saying, "Gosh, I should be buried in something so nice!"

I like your idea Will - that way every time a great soloist sneezes half way through a performance, we'll know its you! :)