Maestronet Forums

Perhaps American?

GoldenPlate

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure Jacob Saunders did not mean to imply that he was ruling out Germany as the source of origin, I'll wait for him to look at this and comment tomorrow, by the way caspace, how much of a kick back, if any, do you receive for starting threads about every single piece of xxxxxxx that comes up from these sellers??

Haha, great investigative reporting, caspace.

No wonder Dan Everett got all lathered in sweat when I highlighted Beagle's unsavory practices earlier:

http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/327688-giovanni-pallaver/page-6#entry574694

http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/327688-giovanni-pallaver/page-6#entry574701

Pretty transparent now these folks are using MN for their own advertising purposes, isn't it?

First of all, we acknowledge for future reference
that Dan sells his ebay ”conquests” via Handy Pound in
commission.

In his listing, Pound writes the
following;

“Dozens of people weigh in on the origin and quality of this violin. Perhaps the most experienced in the group, an Austrian violin dealer and expert, in post #58 writes,"It looks unusual, nothing I would recognise." Since he is particularly knowledgeable and experienced in antique German violins, his comment possibly rules out Germany as this violin's origin”.

and gives a link to a Maestronet thread which doesn’t work. (The real one would be http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/318659-yet-another-violin-id/page-3?hl=gottlieb%20kleiner) where I actually write in the cited post #58

I will have to retract my previous statements. It looks unusual, nothing I would recognise.
I have never seen the knarlled effect on the inside of the rib before, I wonder what that was for?

If someone admits that they don’t recognise something, it is just being honest and is a statement of fact, it doesn’t by any means remotely justify the conclusion Pound infers. “possibly rules out Germany as this violin's origin” is a pure speculation on his part, and has no basis at all in his quote of my post. Don’t know is plain don’t know. He is welcome to quote me the next time he hypes a Saxon “Tyroean” Jais, which curiously hasn’t happened yet though.

Surely the set-up work, bridge, nut repair, chinrest and new strings will have something to do with the increased price as well. Few beginner players want to buy a non-set up violin. 

I actually write in the cited post #58

I will have to retract my previous statements. It looks unusual, nothing I would recognise.

I have never seen the knarlled effect on the inside of the rib before, I wonder what that was for?

If someone admits that they don’t recognise something, it is just being honest and is a statement of fact, it doesn’t by any means remotely justify the conclusion Pound infers. “possibly rules out Germany as this violin's origin” is a pure speculation on his part, and has no basis at all in his quote of my post. Don’t know is plain don’t know.

If someone admits that something "possibly"does something  it is just being honest and a statement of fact, it doesn't by any means remotely justify the conclusion that Jocko Sandbox infers. Possibly is plain possibly.

If someone admits that something "possibly"does something  it is just being honest and a statement of fact, it doesn't by any means remotely justify the conclusion that Jocko Sandbox infers. Possibly is plain possibly.

Second guessing what I might have meant when I said I didn’t know whilst

pretending to quote me, is hardly a statement of fact.

I could argue with you, contending that it is a fact that Jesse said "possibly" in his listing, or it is a fact that Jesse thought that you "possibly" meant that the fiddle could not have come from Germany. But I won't -- it's not worth getting into a lather about.

Yes, Jocko, you are correct. But that would have detracted from the intended irony of my post.

I could argue with you, contending that it is a fact that Jesse said "possibly" in his listing, or it is a fact that Jesse thought that you "possibly" meant that the fiddle could not have come from Germany. But I won't -- it's not worth getting into a lather about.

Yes, Jocko, you are correct. But that would have detracted from the intended irony of my post.

From http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/policystmt/ad-decept.htm

Most deception involves written or oral misrepresentations, or omissions of material information. Deception may also occur in other forms of conduct associated with a sales transaction. The entire advertisement, transaction or course of dealing will be considered. The issue is whether the act or practice is likely to mislead, rather than whether it causes actual deceptions.

A weasel word like "possibly" isn't gonna save your ass, especially given what "Jocko" has stated in post #7 & #13. FTC is not going to take kindly to statements of a speculative nature in advertising.

Stephen, so much for your new leaf. I'll try to save Jeffrey the trouble, but it probably won't do any good:

http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/325798-quiz-for-addie/?p=538561

I don't think you should attempt to act as an enforcer or mouthpiece for the moderator or the forum in general.

Who are you?

Stephen,

Anybody is free to press the "Report" button. The rules are clear and your post clearly violated them. But several times Jeffrey has made it clear that he derives no joy from having to babysit this forum to make sure that people are following the rules. If I press the "Report" button, it simply ensures that Jeffrey will have to step in and edit and/or delete some posts. I was hopeful that a link to a previous reminder from Jeffrey would be sufficient to put this thread back on track. I'm sorry to say that it appears I was wrong.

By the way, I find quoting (and then lauding) one's own posts to be even more lacking in taste than quoting oneself in one's signature. YMM (and obviously does) V.

Regards,

Charlie

All I hope this post does is to provide a good example of a somehow not very interesting looking violin can be bought by Dan Everett for $293 before and later commissioned to Pahdah for a much higher price. Totally demonstrates how brilliant Dan is, and the important role that marketing skill plays in our daily life.

Congrats to Dan and Pahdah!