Maestronet Forums

South German 18th century violins with original fittings...?

Oliver Webber

The trouble is that, although there are quite enough violins labeled

Alletsee, it is almost impossible to get several at once in the same place to

compare and get an idea what one should look like. As it is, every one that I

have seen has looked different. The one in the Hamma book is surely

later(?)

Someone recently pointed out to me an obvious point which I should have noticed: the "Alletsee" in the Hamma book is labelled 1738 - Alletsee died in 1733!

So I feel a little less concerned about the fact that it doesn't resemble mine too closely!

• 8 years later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Ed Shillitoe said:

Can anyone share a link to the instrument collection in Berlin that Oliver mentioned?  I can't find a catalog or photos at all.  Thanks!

Hi Ed here is the correct link. My friend is a conservator there so if you have any questions let me know and I can ask him. Search violine and you should be able to find the instruments in the various collections.  The musical instrument museum is the main one you want to look at.

http://www.smb-digital.de/eMuseumPlus?service=direct/1/ResultLightboxView/moduleBottomContextFunctionBar.bottomNavigator.back&sp=10&sp=Scollection&sp=SfilterDefinition&sp=0&sp=5&sp=1&sp=Slightbox_3x4&sp=12&sp=Sdetail&sp=0&sp=F&sp=0

6 hours ago, Shelbow said:

Hi Ed here is the correct link. My friend is a conservator there so if you have any questions let me know and I can ask him. Search violine and you should be able to find the instruments in the various collections.  The musical instrument museum is the main one you want to look at.

http://www.smb-digital.de/eMuseumPlus?service=direct/1/ResultLightboxView/moduleBottomContextFunctionBar.bottomNavigator.back&sp=10&sp=Scollection&sp=SfilterDefinition&sp=0&sp=5&sp=1&sp=Slightbox_3x4&sp=12&sp=Sdetail&sp=0&sp=F&sp=0

Thanks! I never found out how this website is working before. But now I'm the more disappointed about the poor photography (one out of focus picture per instrument only). Maybe your friend could do something about it?:huh:

I shall ask him. I know he has been working on re cataloguing things so perhaps this is one of the plans for the future.

Yes the online catalogue is not great.

I visited the museum and purchased some of the paper catalogues a few years back when there was a heat wave. It was 38 degrees in Berlin :(.

15 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

The United States is becoming covered in wildfire smoke from coast-to-coast causing sunsets that almost look like they are from another planet.

I took this at 10:00 AM during the last spate of wildfires here in California as a little reminder of the apocalyptic vibe:

52F07F35-C536-4736-B72C-544F612349D2.jpeg

There will be no California within then next 30 years...between the wild fires, lack of water and the fact that the state is completely broke; very sad.

Lets not mention the recent discovery of 'new' microbes in the polar caps (as they are melting at an alarming rate); the predominate grouping of these microbes being responsible for methane breakdown; with the caps melting there is concern of not only other microbes being released into our world waters but also alarming rates of gas release to our ozone layer; ultimately mankind is destroying this planet at an alarming rate; meanwhile Stradivarius is doing well!

56 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

California actually has a 80 billion dollar surplus this year, so much that they are required by state law to send $600 checks to most Californians to pay some of the surplus back

80 billion surplus yet fifty city blocks of skid row; something doesn't 'add up.'