Sign in to follow this  
daddy-o496

Rosin build up.

In the past I have used toluene to remove rosin buildup but stopped because I don't like breathing the fumes - I believe it is toxic.  Someone turned me on to a different remedy several years ago -  Sta Lube Lanolin Cream Hand Cleaner.  I was shown how to rub it on the violin with your fingers, leave it there for about 5 minutes, and then wipe it off with a little bit of elbow grease using a damp cotton cloth. It may be necessary to repeat this for heavy buildup.  Then, use a damp clean cloth to remove any of the cream (and the odor which, although not unpleasant, is noticeable).   This has really worked well for me. 

A couple notes - try not to let any of the cream get on the inside edges of the f-holes.  Lastly, I am basing this solely on my own experience cleaning my own German trade violins...

Auto parts stores and some hardware stores carry GoJo handcleaner, (DL handcleaner is another brand but I like the GOJO better). this is a waterless cream that mechanics use to get oil and grease off their hands and it works very well on rosin and dirt build up, apply it with fingers or paper towel, let sit and wipe off, heavy build ups may need "elbow grease" and more time but it removes it gently without hurting the finish, any remaining can be washed off with a damp towel.

just be sure to use the formula without pumice!

reese

Auto parts stores and some hardware stores carry GoJo handcleaner....

reese

In case anyone missed it, please don't use the formula with pumice! :blink:

Check that label before using!

Joe

Auto parts stores and some hardware stores carry GoJo handcleaner... and it works very well on rosin and dirt build up...

I just tried GO-JO to remove dirt and rosin from a violin.  Initial results are very encouraging

Looking back at this, i just had a horrible thought.  We don't have a photo on this one, what if the OP is innocently trying to remove antiquing?

Thanks, Brad.  Sounds worth trying. :)