I would like some advice on the various sizes of F-holes on violins. I know there is not a standard size and it seems most Luthiers decide their own, but what is the minimum and average size of f-holes you have encountered?

I get conflicting information and would appreciate som input.

I am trying to determine if a 5/16" (8mm) ball will fit into all violin f-Holes.

Thanks

Castle wrote some rules about size and tonal consequences.  But there’s so much fluff, it’s hard to follow what he is saying.  Somebody should synopsize his “rules."

Violin tone-peculiarities : Castle, Frederick

I think his basic rule is smaller raises tone pitch, larger lowers it.

Too bad it's just the opposite. A narrower F hole produces a lower (A0) pitch and a wider one a higher pitch

Oded

I would like some advice on the various sizes of F-holes on violins. I know there is not a standard size and it seems most Luthiers decide their own, but what is the minimum and average size of f-holes you have encountered?

I am trying to determine if a 5/16" (8mm) ball will fit into all violin f-Holes.

Thanks

Hi,

Mass and the structure of wood is the critical factor. Logic would dictate that a bigger hole leaves less mass, therefore favours the higher frequencies. A smaller F hole leaves mor wood and favours the lower ones. However the thickness of the plate, arching and the structure of the wood has to be considered.

Too bad it's just the opposite. A narrower F hole produces a lower (A0) pitch and a wider one a higher pitch

Oded

Keeping in mind I said "I think... “   :)

He says, in fact, “Enlarging exits raises tone pitch.” (p. 51)

He discusses the “exits” at length, from page 190 onwards.  Topics include size, obliqueness, and proximity to the edge.

Castle wrote some rules about size and tonal consequences.  But there’s so much fluff, it’s hard to follow what he is saying.  Somebody should synopsize his “rules."

Hi Addie - my thoughts too - so I'm busy trying to work up (down?) an abridged version for my bookshelf.

cheers edi

• 1 year later...

Oded

I don't know if anyone else caught this. Anyhow, I just read this in Castle. He says nothing about tone pitch being controlled by the area of the "exits", namely f-holes. He says increasing the area of the f-holes increases the tone-power

Thanks

0018v.jpg

0018v.jpg

0019v.jpg

One parameter, two effects. Simple, yes? :D

Ha! Right after where I stopped reading last night, I find this morning that Castle goes into great detail about how this phenomenon works. Good catch. I need to finish reading before commenting further and looking stupid.  :lol:

'Hook and Link can now have their thread back. 

• 4 years later...
On 3/28/2014 at 12:46 AM, Michael_Molnar said:

I don't know if anyone else caught this. Anyhow, I just read this in Castle. He says nothing about tone pitch being controlled by the area of the "exits", namely f-holes. He says increasing the area of the f-holes increases the tone-power

Recently, many scientific papers have suggested "increasing size of f-holes increasing the dB". 

8 hours ago, yawye said:

Recently, many scientific papers have suggested "increasing size of f-holes increasing the dB". 

Which studies? I remember one in the past which was cited a few times by newspapers. The main effect was an increase of airflow at the f hole edge and nothing more.