Sign in to follow this  
welshman

bow stamp question

I just looked at a nice cello bow with an interesting stamp, after the customer left I started to wonder about the stamp and looked it up in what reference material I have and ended up with more questions than answers. I am hoping the collective wisdom of the board can help satisfy my curiosity.

The stamp on a nice silver mounted bow read "Millant a Paris". which on it face seems good, bow had some wear and no other markings, the player had purchased it 1970's or so. (and no I didn't think to take a photo)

the problem when looking at the book was the lack of a first name or initials in front of Millant which seems to be needed for it to be real.

so the question to all of you with perhaps better resources than i is: Is this a Millant bow and if so which one?

Reese

The stamp on a nice silver mounted bow read "Millant a Paris". which on it face seems good, bow had some wear and no other markings, the player had purchased it 1970's or so. (and no I didn't think to take a photo)

Reese;

Was it just "MILLANT A PARIS", or could it have been M.MILLANT A PARIS (note close spacing of the "M.", making M.MILLANT look like one word, which can sometimes go right by one's eye).

Jeffery,

I looked very close for anything or any mark in front of the millant, nothing - no sign of any indentation or mark - which is why I started wondering.

Reese

Will is correct... though I'm trying to recall actually seeing one.

In addition, I have seen a number of bows stamped M.MILLANT A PARIS that appear to be Mirecourt bows (by Morizot, etc.).

Jeffery, I actually suggested the player show it to you at the VSA workshops next June, she is a Music theory Prof. at Oberlin, She is from Germany originally and bought the bow in a round about way from her teacher who is French and bought it in France.

Thanks for all your help - knew the answer would be out there somewhere.

Reese

Thank you.  I wasn't sure if the later (?) stamp of R&M meant perhaps a different supplier of bows for the shop.