Sign in to follow this  
LinkMan

Violin-maker demonstrates his handmade process

Yes, very nice video of a master maker.

I find intriguing the quest to do things as Stradivari did. Noble idea, but where do you draw the line? Is using power tools cheating?

Next question, if you do everything the way Strad did, do you learn anything new?

Stay Tuned.

Mike

Yes, very nice video of a master maker.

I find intriguing the quest to do things as Stradivari did. Noble idea, but where do you draw the line? Is using power tools cheating?

Next question, if you do everything the way Strad did, do you learn anything new?

Stay Tuned.

Mike

1. No more than using one's children.

2. Yes : old things.

Wow! 100 hours... I thought the typical time was about 2 months for experienced Luthiers. I wonder if he left out the time it takes to varnish?

No, not out of line. I make a cello in 4 weeks and 2 days, including varnishing the previous cello.

Oded

Has Michael Darnton participated in VSA competitions?

I can say emphatically that the answer is no! For now you will have to ask Michael his reasons. But as I employ him three weeks out of the year to teach my workshops, I know him very well and therefore can give answer on this matter. In due time I would be willing to elaborate but that time is not now. Jim Brown

I can say emphatically that the answer is no! For now you will have to ask Michael his reasons. But as I employ him three weeks out of the year to teach my workshops, I know him very well and therefore can give answer on this matter. In due time I would be willing to elaborate but that time is not now. Jim Brown

That's OK Jim. I was just curious if he took part regularly. Too lazy to do a quick internet seach. :unsure:

Thanks, FW

I don't know Michael and have never even met him, so I'm not trying to suck up when I say. Maestronet would not be the forum it is today if not for Michael Danton. He posted here regularly for several years and shared nearly everything he knows about violin making. He answered question after question from newbies. Very helpful guy.

I don't know Michael and have never even met him, so I'm not trying to suck up when I say. Maestronet would not be the forum it is today if not for Michael Danton. He posted here regularly for several years and shared nearly everything he knows about violin making. He answered question after question from newbies. Very helpful guy.

Actually, only maybe ~ 20%

OK

Maybe that's the missing ingredient - Child Labor.

Better than them spending their time playing video games.

Hey I take it you never saw this movie! :huh:

Hey kids, keep playing those games! :blink:

(Shhhh it's all a ploy, video games, to keep those kids from going into the real world and taking our jobs away! ;) )

Wow! 100 hours... I thought the typical time was about 2 months for experienced Luthiers. I wonder if he left out the time it takes to varnish?

100 hours is a reasonable amount of time to spend actively working on a violin. There is a difference in how much time you spend working on the violin and how much time it takes to make the violin, you can work on other projects while the glue and varnish are drying. Also, depending on your varnish, varnishing doesn't have to take a lot of time. Some spirit and emulsion varnishes can be applied and reasonably cured in a few hours, and there are oil varnishes that cure faster than others.

100 hours is a reasonable amount of time to spend actively working on a violin.

Wm.,

I have asked this question for years: "If you worked uninterrupted, how long would it take you to make a violin you liked?" The standard answer is 2 weeks. Then I follow up with,"Varnished?"...the answer is most always "no....add at least a week for varnish".

Oded,

You're pretty quick for and oldish man.

on we go,

Joe