Sign in to follow this  
Novauviolon

Ebay "Emile Dupree" French bow (stamped FRANCE)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Fine-Pernambuco-Emile-Dupree-French-violin-bow-stamped-branded-viola-bass-/321048772867?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abfff8103

I'm kind of curious; does anybody know the story behind all the bows with French names that are firebranded "FRANCE" like the one there? I've seen a bunch with different names which all seem to be more or less the same (winding, frog, button); I also own one labeled "FN VOIRIN A PARIS", which is obviously not a real Voirin bow (still nice to play though).

I did locate this explanation for the Emile Dupree: http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=17799 Was Metropolitan Music behind all the other identical ones with different name labels, or were some other wholesale suppliers importing the same bows and labeling them differently?

I owned a Dupree bow years ago, it was silver mounted, slightly short, somewhat flamed pernambuco. Stamped France on the butt end. I posted it on MN and the concensus was that they were German bows and even the France stamp was not authentic and Met Music seems to have been behind it. I seem to remember it was a good bow.

"Emile Dupree" and "F N Voirin a Paris" are trade names that have been used on bows imported and distributed by Metropolitan Music for many years. Metropolitan's catalog used to (and perhaps still does) state on the front cover that they were the exclusive importer of these bows. Although they were stamped "France" for many years, almost all of these bows were made in Germany Another dealer told me that the bows were stamped "France" until Metropolitan learned that if the bows were not actually made in France this violated US import regulations and could result in serious legal problems. Since then, the bows have been stamped "Germany" to accurately reflect their origins.

Thanks for the info. If you still have one of those catalogues, is there a practical difference between the Emile Dupree and FN Voirin a Paris or other such trade names, or did Metropolitan use these lines interchangeably?

Hello. It's funny this comes up. I've had three of these bows, octagonal, with metal winding. None of the "Emille Dupree" stamps match, and none match the stamps on the e-bay bow. None have a "France" stamp. All three broke at the tip. I recently unearthed two of them and reglued the tips but haven't splined them yet. I think they were $175.00 new ( 30 years ago?). Without hair one weighs 54.5 g and the other 59, so a big difference

... If you still have one of those catalogues, is there a practical difference between the Emile Dupree and FN Voirin a Paris or other such trade names, or did Metropolitan use these lines interchangeably?

I have 2 Metropolitan catalogs: The 2002 catalog does not give any indication of any practical differences between the "Dupree" and "Voirin" bows. The stick of both are made of pernambuco, the frogs of both are available with either nickel or silver mountings, and they both sell in about the same price range -- $160 to $390. The 2009 catalog does not list either one.

Now days there are several sellers on ebay offering bows stamped ..Dupree, Voirin, (you fill in the blank), as "used", which are actually new Chinese of the lowest quality imaginable. How do you use a bow to play a violin with no rosin on it? Unfortunately I found out because I bought one. I thought it was one that Brad was referring to above. When I confronted the seller, she was very quick to refund my money, and told me to keep the bow, apparently fearing exposure in her feedback. I didn't leave any.

On a side note, it seems no one reads feedback, or why is it that the same scammers can resell a new Chinese violin with an Italian label for more than the first time around, even though the initial buyer returned it because "it sounds like crap"? 

Now days there are several sellers on ebay offering bows stamped ..Dupree, Voirin, (you fill in the blank), as "used", which are actually new Chinese of the lowest quality imaginable. How do you use a bow to play a violin with no rosin on it? Unfortunately I found out because I bought one. I thought it was one that Brad was referring to above. When I confronted the seller, she was very quick to refund my money, and told me to keep the bow, apparently fearing exposure in her feedback. I didn't leave any.

On a side note, it seems no one reads feedback, or why is it that the same scammers can resell a new Chinese violin with an Italian label for more than the first time around, even though the initial buyer returned it because "it sounds like crap"? 

Read??  I thought most buyers just look at the pictures :lol:

Thank you very much for your report.  I hope many people read it. :)

Another note:

" Pernambuco " is ebay speak for brazilwood. At least 95% of bows advertised on ebay as being made of pernambuco are actually made of brazilwood.

Pernambuco IS a Brazilwood.

I have a 1935 Metropolitan Catalog here on the bench.

Page 39 shows F.N. Voirin bows at 20 to 40 bucks. The bow pictured in the cat. shows a narrow ebony/wide silver.nickle button, much like one would see from the Hoyer shop. All are Pernambuco, but the lowest grade is round and the higher 2 grades are octagonal. The cheapest grade is nickle mounted, the higher 2 make specific mention of "finest silver frog".

The Emile Dupree bows, just below, have 3 grades, as well. 25 to 35 bucks, the lowest grade round and silver mounted, the middle has a whalebone and gold thread wrap-round as well, and the description of the highest grade is the same as the middle, but octagonal.

One the same page is Albert Nurnberger, 29 bucks up to 160 1934 dollars for a tortoise and gold bow.

The other names in this catalog, for bows are: A.R. Sandner, Richard Geipel, Karl Hermann, Gustav Werner, Robert Hoyer, O.R. Pfretchner(note the spelling! no "z"), Albert Schuster, Otto Wunderlich, and Pierre Molineux-only gold mounted, and the only one that I have never seen out of this bunch of names.