MANFIO

Manfio's Bench; My latest instrument...

Do you still prefer low density Engelmann for viola? What other spruces do you find that work well for your viola's builds? Going by your posts over the years, I noticed you liked  Simeon's spruce.

Yes, low density, but if I had to use a apruce with a different density I would just leave the top thicker, the top of this viola is 3 mm thick, 4 mm thick near the f hole edge, and even thicker in the extreme lower edge of the f holes.

Kim Uwate plays one of my violas, at 15.5 (39.6 cm.) this is my smallest viola model. Karen Dreyfus chose this viola to Kim. 

Beautiful instrument and excellent player!  I know you have used the Conte Vitale as an inspiration for making your violas.  How have you changed your model to make this kind of small viola?

Thank you all!

Yes Gowan, my viola model is a personal model but inspired in Andrea Guarneri.

I did this for my 39.6 cm. ( 15.5 inches) viola: using a xerox machine you can take copies reduced to
96, 95% etc. of the Andrea Guarneri model  and than composing each part of the instruments based in the proportions of a small Guadagnini viola featured in a Strad poster. .

I use a 375 mm string length for a a 15 cms. neck. The bridge will fall in the point to give me the 375 mm
string lengtth, perhaps a bit under the nicks, the nicks may be a bit under the normal place too.

It is 25.5 wide in the lower bouts and 19 cm. wide in the upper bouts.

My model is wide, so I use a 50 mm distance betwen the upper eyes, with a 52 mm wide bridge, yes, not usual, but this
is what I do.

1 hour ago, MANFIO said:
Thank you all!

Yes Gowan, my viola model is a personal model but inspired in Andrea Guarneri.

I did this for my 39.6 cm. ( 15.5 inches) viola: using a xerox machine you can take copies reduced to
96, 95% etc. of the Andrea Guarneri model  and than composing each part of the instruments based in the proportions of a small Guadagnini viola featured in a Strad poster. .

I use a 375 mm string length for a a 15 cms. neck. The bridge will fall in the point to give me the 375 mm
string lengtth, perhaps a bit under the nicks, the nicks may be a bit under the normal place too.

It is 25.5 wide in the lower bouts and 19 cm. wide in the upper bouts.

My model is wide, so I use a 50 mm distance betwen the upper eyes, with a 52 mm wide bridge, yes, not usual, but this
is what I do.

Interesting.  Thank you. I imagine the 375 string length must help with the C string in such a small viola.

I follow Rene Morel's ideas about viola making, he advises keeping a 375 mm string length and a 15 cms. neck regardless of the size of the viola. I made only 6 of this small size, one is with a very tall player of the Gewandhaus Leipzig Orchestra.

56 minutes ago, MANFIO said:

Just received this, from sololist  violinist/violist/ conductor  Julian Rachlin.

julian rachlin.jpg

Thats Awesome MANFIO, a honor and well deserved

Thank you all! Christian, Julian Rachlin plays a Strad violin and a Lorenzo Storioni viola. I met him on his dressing room for some viola test driving some weeks ago.

I'm very impressed with both Uwate's wonderful playing of this great Hindemith piece, and with the sound of your viola.

I'm usually not too hot about introductory talk about scary music (which is in this case nearly a century old) but she did a good job there, too.

On the side note, Luis, perhaps you should have obscured the exact details of Rachlin's adress.

2 hours ago, MANFIO said:

Thanks! Herman West! That address is on Rachilin's website, I think it is of his office, so perhaps there is no problem.

In that case there's no problem, sorry.

Arglebargle, players like Mr. Rachlin - who are also teachers - know the importance of makers, and some of them try to help makers in many ways, including sending them testimonials, by letters, or emails.  In my experience, soloists are very generous in many way, the reason may be that they are already rich, famous and loved, so they can be generous.

In general, we makers, like to receive such testimonials, will keep and treasure them. I have some by Michael Tree (Guarneri Quartet), by players of the Gewandhaus Leipzig, by principal violas of the Deustche Kammerphillharmonie Bremen, Kiev, Cordoba, etc. And some soloists also.  .

Of course I paid nothing, I imagine that Mr. Rachlin, being a violin/viola soloist, conductor and teacher, has no money problems, and would not receive money for doing that.  

If I were a "master promoter" I would certainly not be making violas, but more profitable things. I always remember David Burgess mentioning that there are easier ways to make money.