• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 years later...
On 4/1/2024 at 8:56 PM, MANFIO said:

I used "lacca di robbia" made in Italy by "Fantuzzi Pigmenti".

Beautiful work, as always.

I have not had success with natural pigments as varnish colors. The initial blush of color always fades in about a year.

Maybe Fantuzzi has an extraction process that stabilizes the colors. Do you process the dyes in some way or just mill them into the varnish before use? The colors you get are very intense and also transparent, which is a challenge I have never overcome without the use of modern dyes.

7 hours ago, ctanzio said:

Beautiful work, as always.

I have not had success with natural pigments as varnish colors. The initial blush of color always fades in about a year.

Maybe Fantuzzi has an extraction process that stabilizes the colors. Do you process the dyes in some way or just mill them into the varnish before use? The colors you get are very intense and also transparent, which is a challenge I have never overcome without the use of modern dyes.

Thanks! Here the wood was 90 years old, so a bit dark, that helped. No milling or grinding here,  I just added the Fantuzzi lacca di robbia (madder lake)  pigment to turpentine and then added it to my oil varnish. For the ground I used my Marciana Varnish. Fantuzzi pigments are sold by Cremona Tools in Cremona. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...