MANFIO

Manfio's Bench; My latest instrument...

A belated happy birthday to you.

Also, I agree with the early response that the violin looks and sounds great, although I don't think I'm really qualified to judge the sound.

9 hours ago, Quadibloc said:

A belated happy birthday to you.

Also, I agree with the early response that the violin looks and sounds great, although I don't think I'm really qualified to judge the sound.

Thanks! It is a viola, not a violin. Thanks!

6 hours ago, MANFIO said:

Thanks! It is a viola, not a violin. Thanks!

I was talking about the very first instrument featured in this thread, the one played for you on your 50th birthday. I thought you said that it was the one time you decided to make a violin instead.

"After making just violas for 8 years, I decided to make a violin..."; the one played by Emmanuele Baldini as Dana Radu played the piano.

Checking the date on that post, though, I see I should be wishing you a belated 55th birthday, or a happy 56th birthday in advance. I am definitely not qualified to comment on the sound of the viola to which you refer, as I haven't gotten to the part of the thread where I might listen to it yet.

Now I have listened to the Facebook video of your most recent viola. Twice. The first time I listened to it, for some reason it did not sound right to me. But on my second listen - after listening to some videos of Stradivarius violas to check if perhaps all violas sound this way - whatever specific flaw I imagined I perceived the first time was not there, and I did not notice any problems. But for whatever reason, I still did not get excited over the sound. Not to worry, however; I am not qualified to judge these things; it could be the performance was done in haste, and it was that, not the instrument, I heard. (And if the instrument has a darker sound, well, that's what a viola should have, but it could have contributed to my not having a strong favorable impression when listening in a naive manner.) The appearance, though, was as beautiful as that of the violin I praised.

And then there is always the question of the microphone used.

That violin at the beginning of the thread, though, did have me feel that no violin could sound better, not even one that Guarneri had made himself. Not that there were no flaws in those two videos. A pianist comes all the way from Romania to help you celebrate your birthday: the least you could have done before she arrived was have your piano tuned! Either that, or she, unlike the violinist, enjoyed the party too much; either way, there were many false notes on the piano during those performances.

Ok, Quad, the violin. Well, this was a live performance recorded with a rather humble camera. That is a fine pianist, I think, it is a live performance.  Thanks!

Thank you for taking the time to share photos of your instruments in various stages of construction.

Besides being a gifted maker, your ability to capture the essence of the many steps of violin/viola construction, with still pictures and no words, makes you a gifted teacher, IMHO.

On 8/9/2018 at 10:11 AM, Quadibloc said:

But for whatever reason, I still did not get excited over the sound.

Listening to it a third time, it seems indeed to be a fine sounding viola. I am not sure why my impression varied so much each time I listened to it.

Recently, I have learned that the modern viola was sometimes called an Alto Viola, so as to distinguish it form the formerly common Tenor Viola. Given that the Hutchins Violin Octet refers to instruments having the same tunings as the Alto Violin and the Tenor Violin, and the instrument tuned to the range of the conventional violin in that Violin Octet is called the Mezzo Violin...

perhaps one could get away with referring to a conventional violin, not made to the enlarged size of one for the Hutchins Octet, as a Mezzo Viola? (And the violoncello could be the Baritone Viola.)

On 8/9/2018 at 1:26 PM, MANFIO said:

Ok, Quad, the violin. Well, this was a live performance recorded with a rather humble camera. That is a fine pianist, I think, it is a live performance.  Thanks!

I think it's the best sounding violin (to me obviously) that I've heard on here.  Smooth, squalling kind of sound that I love and gives the impression of being easy to play.  I've saving up for your next one, unless I have to compete with somebody who sold their Bitcoin at the right time.  The pianist and piano sound fine too, nothing wrong.  Sounds like a very good upright, and an enthusiastic, very capable pianist.  You kids,  at your recital, play your violin in the corner of a room like that if you have a choice.  It helps!

On 9/13/2018 at 10:31 PM, Bill Merkel said:

I think it's the best sounding violin (to me obviously) that I've heard on here.  Smooth, squalling kind of sound that I love and gives the impression of being easy to play.  I've saving up for your next one, unless I have to compete with somebody who sold their Bitcoin at the right time.  The pianist and piano sound fine too, nothing wrong.  Sounds like a very good upright, and an enthusiastic, very capable pianist.  You kids,  at your recital, play your violin in the corner of a room like that if you have a choice.  It helps!

Thanks Bill! Yep, quite a good violinist and pianist indeed! Grazie tante!