Sign in to follow this  
Arash

Wood stain

Can anyone tell from the attached picture whether the discolouration in this piece of maple is from fungus or not?

post-31586-0-40500000-1354536552.jpg

Really need to make that pic a bit bigger so those of us pushing our golden years can see it....

Sorry, this is the original size and I cannot make it any bigger. However, I can PM you the complete picture, so you can see the stain in context. I wouldn't want to post the complete picture here.

Thanks, Oded. From what I have read here, I gather that this fungus can spread to the rest of the wood, is that right? Is it best to stay away from wood that has this type of fungus or is it irrelevant if it is outside the area which will be the back?

Yes.

Oded, you must have a bionic eye or something :) , all i can see is a minute piece of maple that has been partially planed to expose the surface. If it is slight dark discolouration i doubt its anything to worry about.Its often not even noticable under varnish unless the varnish is very light in colour.

The fungus stain wont spread if the wood is dry but it may become more or less noticable as you carve the wood away.

According to some articles, a wood infected with fungus was the secret for Stradivarius tone... :)

;)

We should keep a list of all the "secrets" that contribute to good tone: imperfections; fungus, anything else? :)

I can't see the photo either but I can relate to the post. I had a neck block that had a type of fungus in it - all the way through from one side to the other. I had it confirmed by our state university's ag extension office. They advised me not to use it if I was concerned about discoloration (which I could have surmised....). The crazy thing is that there are plenty of woodworkers and guitar luthiers who will pay extra for spalted maple which is essentially cause by a type fungi.

I can't see the photo either but I can relate to the post. I had a neck block that had a type of fungus in it - all the way through from one side to the other. I had it confirmed by our state university's ag extension office. They advised me not to use it if I was concerned about discoloration (which I could have surmised....). The crazy thing is that there are plenty of woodworkers and guitar luthiers who will pay extra for spalted maple which is essentially cause by a type fungi.

Hi,

There are many different discolorations in maple and sycamore. The spalted maple discoloration is caused by dampness getting into the wood. It is no good for any violin part, as it is brittle and weak. Some discolorations are caused by injury to the bark while the tree is growing. It does not effect the strenght of the wood. Other discolorations are caused by a tree shedding a branch, water seeps in and that weakens the wood. A nail or lead shot causes black /green patches but does not affect the strenght.

So make your judgements!!

No. ;-)

I should have added that Oded and fiddlecollector had a look at the un-cropped photo and decided that the discolouration was most likely not due to fungus. My search for a wood with fungus continues ;)

Let;s say it's fungus.... :rolleyes:

What is the best way to eliminate it?

Mono-ethylene glycol kills fungus, but leaves some funny coloring that needs to be sanded...and offers good protection for some time (?) It seems to penetrate through most finishes...

Oxalic acid usually gets rid of the blackness but does it kill the fungus? That needs to be neutralized.... washed and sanded....

These are the primitive manners I know of, any better ones? Borax perhaps?

I should have added that Oded and fiddlecollector had a look at the un-cropped photo and decided that the discolouration was most likely not due to fungus. My search for a wood with fungus continues ;)

Are you searching for a pict of wood with fungus? If so I can take one..

Are you searching for a pict of wood with fungus? If so I can take one..

That would be great. Thanks, also for your recommendations on how to deal with fungus.