Sign in to follow this  
Pebbles

The Bow Drawings of Scott Zumberge and/or Drawings of Bows by Famous Makers by Armin Schlieps

I know these books are out of print and I have been hunting high and low for a copy of either. Does anyone know where I could borrow either?. I tried interlibrary loan without success.

I do know something about the Schlieps' book. At one time, reprints were available from Bowworks, but no longer. I got in contact with the wife and one son of Schlieps but there are no copies available from the family. The book was tracings of various bows (I do not know what models) without any dimensions.

Mike D

The exact title of the book is: DRAWINGS OF BOWS by FAMOUS BOWMAKERS by Armin Schlieps/ copyright 1985, I believe it must have been self published.

The limited introduction points out the drawings span 40 years and began when Armin and his father George went to work at Rembert Wurlitzer's. He gives thanks to Sacconi and D'Attili. (Incidentally, Sacconi could re-hair bows). The idea was to become familiar with the characteristic of the various makers.

The drawings are quite nice, but probably would be best used in addition to very good photos. The pages are not well numbered, but I'd guess it's 300 pages. Certainly all the most important makers are included. A welcome addition to any library if you can find one, IMO.

I'm not familiar with the Zumberge. I'd like to hear about it.

Hello Sally,er, Pebbles

I have a copy of the Scott Zumberge book. It has been very useful. The downside is that the measurements are imperial not metric. Not a huge problem, but a nusiance. The book is out of print and not a large number were printed in the first place. I have lost your email, perhaps you still have mine when I made the bow nipple cutters for you. I have changed servers. The first part is the same but it is now @telus.net .

Let me know if you would like a copy of mine.

Hi! I see this is an old thread, hoping you might still see this. I'm wondering if FenwickG might consider sending me a copy of this book? My husband is a luthier in Ecuador, he is very interested in getting a copy and we have had a hard time finding it. 

Since the topic of bow books and detailed images has come up, I'll ask if anyone here is familiar with the Holfter book displaying bows held in various Vienna collections.  Looks interesting, but I've never heard it referred to anywhere.  Here's the description from the Holfter site:

R. Hopfner: Streichbogen.

Katalog. Sammlung alter Musikinstrumente und Sammlungen der Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Wien.

Hardback. 257pp and an added appendix with 21 large-scale, fold-out diagrams and drawings.Featuring b/w photographs and detailed descriptions of 119 bows from all musical eras, curently to be found in Vienna collections. For each bow there is a corresponding diagram giving exact measurements of the bow’s diameter at every point. Text in German only.

That book is pretty well known in historical bow circles.  Most, if not all the drawings are of pre-modern bows.  It's a very interesting resource for early bows, particularly if you can read German.

We spoke with Mr. Schliep's widow the last time this was brought up on MN, and at that time she was not interested in reprinting the book. It is a shame, since his drawings and information are both beautiful and useful.

5 hours ago, Andres Sender said:

That book is pretty well known in historical bow circles.  Most, if not all the drawings are of pre-modern bows.  It's a very interesting resource for early bows, particularly if you can read German.

Thanks for that information, Andres.  The publisher's description doesn't tell what bows the book presents, though the cover design does suggest pre-modern ones.  So this resource won't cover the same ground as the books the OP asked about.  Still, looks worthwhile.

I was looking a long ago for the book too, without success. 

As for the Hopfner s book, Mr Sender is right. It has mostly period bows (early baroque, transitional and classical). There are some modern bows references and photos but without analytical drawings inside. 

There are a lot of books with 1:1 photos to look after (not L Archet that is expensive), so Armin 's book today is maybe not so useful. 

1 hour ago, Nik Kyklo said:

I was looking a long ago for the book too, without success. 

As for the Hopfner s book, Mr Sender is right. It has mostly period bows (early baroque, transitional and classical). There are some modern bows references and photos but without analytical drawings inside. 

There are a lot of books with 1:1 photos to look after (not L Archet that is expensive), so Armin 's book today is maybe not so useful. 

Armin's book shows screws, pins, sizes of those, orientation and other personal observations. It is still useful.

8 minutes ago, duane88 said:

Armin's book shows screws, pins, sizes of those, orientation and other personal observations. It is still useful.

Because of that, I used the word "maybe". 

It seems that you have the book. If you contrast it with other books, (L archet, books from Darling Publications etc.) does it worth for someone to look after it? Please, I would be interested to learn more about the book. 

Thanks