Maestronet Forums

What's on your bench? (mk6)

Jeffrey Holmes

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and what pray tell planet are you from?

Weird Huh?...It's been unusually warm and wet this winter. One would think different living on the Canadian border. I'll take it however compared to those in the midwest and eastern US this season. First time I have to mow my grass in January!

Springs a comin'...

ernie when I first looked at the pic I thought it was you holding a cello in front of you! Very nice bee stings

Huh?...do you mean Don's beestings?...well Thanks anyhow.

One finished and unfinished on the bench.

One finished and unfinished on the bench.

Nice looking assembly line, and nice looking result.

Meanwhile, instead of carving the scroll on my next fiddle, I've been making these:

post-25192-0-04949500-1357403542_thumb.jpgpost-25192-0-62567600-1357403543_thumb.jpg

No, it's not light and dark chocolate brownies.

It's a couple of batches of Michelman resins, zinc and iron, spread out to dry. I'm getting tired of (and running low on) the transparent iron oxide I've been using for the last few years, and looking for something else. The zinc resin I've made before, and used on my first fiddle, and seemed to have some possiblilties. The iron might be useful in creating darker shades... and yes, I've heard the warnings about turning black over time, but it seems like interesting stuff to experiment with. And it looks like it's starting out black.

I am not a chemist but I am still not certain it's that easy for rust in a varnish to become black because I read that red rust (let's say Fe2O3) needs to be reduced to FeO to get black. So I would think oxidation of the iron oxide in a varnish would not darken it (on the contrary). Is there some chemist around? Fiddledoug?

I am not a chemist but I am still not certain it's that easy for rust in a varnish to become black because I read that red rust (let's say Fe2O3) needs to be reduced to FeO to get black. So I would think oxidation of the iron oxide in a varnish would not darken it (on the contrary). Is there some chemist around? Fiddledoug?

I'm not a chemist either, but the iron in the Michelman resin isn't "rust"... it's an iron rosinate or some kind of organic complex. I expect the darkening is from the iron precipitating out and forming FeO. Regardless, even Michelman himself states that the iron rosinate varnish darkens appreciably over time, and that's what matters.

Interestingly, my iron-alizarine rosinate (not exactly to Michelman's recipe) looks black when wet, gray when dry, and then when I dissolve it in acetone, it's an intense purple. This stuff might not be very useful, unless purple violins suddenly becomes all the rage.

Interestingly, my iron-alizarine rosinate (not exactly to Michelman's recipe) looks black when wet, gray when dry, and then when I dissolve it in acetone, it's an intense purple.

Try stirring some in a weak bicarbonate or a vinegar solution. Does to colour change?

If it changes for the better, then dry that material.

ps - John Masters can provide Chapter and Verse on this topic.

Already tried vinegar and HCl... still purple.

edit: fun with alizarine chemistry... I was testing it on a marble slab, and apparently there was a reaction with the marble. On glass, the stuff dissolves in acetone to a mostly black-ish brown with maybe a hint of yellow or green. A sample washed in hydrochloric acid ended up a light yellow or orange.

This should be no end of fun.

Very nice work Ernie and Alberto! Congrats!!

And I'm with Peter: give us some more photos! Please.....I want to see it all : )

Lars

Finished and rubbed out...

Not too happy with the workmanship but I'm pleased with the balanced sound.

... The zinc resin I've made before, and used on my first fiddle, and seemed to have some possiblilties. ...

I too got nice results with zinc. I still have a sample somewhere on my bench as a keepsake. It darkened only a little over 3 or 4 years. However, color is only one aspect of good varnish. That's why I quit making varnish.

Mike