Maestronet Forums

What's on your bench? (mk6)

Jeffrey Holmes

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow will be a good day. No pies to bake, no noodles to make, no getting ready for family holiday, no getting ready for VSA convention, and no grand kids staying over tonight. I get the whole week to work in the shop and make violins, life is good. Got two del Gesu models started. Wood is all joined for backs and tops. Planning on making some wood chips. Still reeling from VSA, saw so many beautiful fiddles. If that doesn't get the juices flowing nothing will.

Christian, you say you set it up for modern strings, what was the setup before and what did you change? Did you take notes on the previous setup?

The set up before was made (by me too) 6 years ago. Gut strings, baroque bridge, XIX th century tail-piece. The finger board is probably XIX century too.

Ben I have never worked with cedar for a violin top. I have used it on lots of guitars.

Don what is your idea to darken the spruce?

Hi Barry, real nice looking as always. Don uses his own version of what is called the "plato process" One steam presures the wood in a chamber. It radically alters the density and structure as well as gives the wood a "toasted" look....I rather like the look,