What's on your bench? (mk6)

Jeffrey Holmes

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for mk7 of this thread?  I'll just tack this on here, for now:

post-25192-0-67811900-1362073622_thumb.jpg

Putting into practice some of the things in the Phillips/Nedelec presentation at the VSA conference about antiquing.  I stripped and revarnished my violin #1, trying out some of the techniques.  This cracquelle came out better than I expected for my first attempt.  The rock rolling and tape pulling isn't doing so well... probably because I didn't use a separation layer to allow the outer color coat to pull off, and it sticks too well to the first layers.

It will be a while before I attempt antiquing on anything good, but I figure to get the skill to do it right, it will take a lot of practice.  Either that, or a few weeks with Hargrave or Goldsmith or some other God of Age.

Time for mk7 of this thread?  I'll just tack this on here, for now:

attachicon.gif130228b.JPG

Putting into practice some of the things in the Phillips/Nedelic presentation at the VSA conference about antiquing.  I stripped and revarnished my violin #1, trying out some of the techniques.  This cracquelle came out better than I expected for my first attempt.  The rock rolling and tape pulling isn't doing so well... probably because I didn't use a separation layer to allow the outer color coat to pull off, and it sticks too well to the first layers.

It will be a while before I attempt antiquing on anything good, but I figure to get the skill to do it right, it will take a lot of practice.  Either that, or a few weeks with Hargrave or Goldsmith or some other God of Age.

The pattern does look very natural -- very immersive -- especially considering it was your first attempt. The challenge I see is the fissures and cracks appear razor sharp -- perhaps it is the photo. On the old instruments i've seen the cracks appear softer (due to natural abrasion or polishing perhaps?)

this must take a ton of patience to do! (for me just making an instrument is hard enough right now -- I can't imagine antiquing!)

That does look good...care to explain the process?

The only thing I got from the VSA presentation was "gum arabic" and "heat gun".  The details of exactly how this was done wasn't given, so I just tried what I though might work:  heat gun as hot as possible without bubbling the varnish, and brush on a solution of 10-15% arabic in water, continuing to apply the heat gun until it dried.  Spraying would probably be better, though.

The cracks are quite sharp and clean, as you would expect for something that has just cracked.  I'll probably try some polishing to soften the lines, and with some time I'd expect the natural surface tension of the soft varnish to do some further softening by itself.

Can you tell me why you had to quote the entire post, when all you are doing is posting right after saying "Looks real nice" ?

I ask because I am having trouble with the 'Quote' function, and I thought that you may be having the same problem too.

I cannot selectively choose what to quote.  It's an "all or nothing" proposition.

Anyone else having the same or other problem with the 'Quote' function??? :huh:

Finished with the glaze coats. Now a just few coats of dark amber varnish to go. I'll definitely try glazing again...it's seems to be very forgiving and shading is easy once you get the hang of it but I still like a pristine varnish job like Hans P. pulls off.