Sign in to follow this  
Tets Kimura

What's your bench top like?

Even gone so far as to daydream-engineer several foot powered treddle power attachments into the folder.

Steve

I'm always half looking for an old foot powered sewing machine to gut, and 'power' my hand grinder with.

I suppose it wouldn't be all that difficult to build a foot powering contraption myself.

Nice to see this set-up. I have some space available in my office too and have been wondering whether I could convert a corner into a little workshop.

I found a great piece of laminated pine - 1 1/8" x 21 3/4" x 72" for $35 at Home Depot which convinced me to go for it. I added some width via a shelf piece which is mounted on the wall. Wife insisted I make it look like furniture so I picked up some turned 29" legs at Lowes. Just added some height and bracing with 2x2's and 1x4 trim. It is very sturdy.

post-43707-0-03937600-1354033408_thumb.jpg

What I really need to do is add 3 or 4 drawers for small tools that I currently have on shelves above the bench. Already had one tool fall. Not anxious for on of those tools to land on a violin I'm working on. I designed it so it's easy to remove the main bench from the mounted shelf piece so I can retrofit some drawers the next time I have some time off.

Butcherblock top built into the piano-bench that I converted last year. I'm fairly careful with it, so it hasn't surrered a lot of battlescars yet. I put a good number of threaded inserts in the top and in the face for securing fixturing, jigs, etc.

I have plans to build a portable bench from one of the folding workmate benches and mount a slab of the butcherblock with threaded inserts. Possibly plan to visit area fiddlecamps when I retire in a few years and do a little setup-repair using the small folding bench. Even gone so far as to daydream-engineer several foot powered treddle power attachments into the folder.

Steve

Nice!... I like the threaded inserts for clamping. I was thinking about the same thing for my bench. I need to make it so I can clamp frame to the workbench for carving out a cello top which is too large for my Skill clamping bench.

post-43707-0-66120300-1354034510_thumb.jpg

All of my benches are each two sheets of plywood in a sandwich with three or four 2x4's. There is then a place to put drawers. It is cheap and easy. The end pieces can be cabinets to hold more junk.

I realize it is much too late to join in on this one, but I hope you will excuse me. All the things you can read out of a workbench surface! I have approximately five benches in the shop, these two I use a lot. One is a really heavy italian bench I have had for about 10 years. For many years I used only that, I did more making back then. I use it for rough work, sawing things, cello making, splitting wood, and all other things standing. The other one is just a table where I sit, wich is the case during much repair work. I also have an Ulmia bench, but it is so covered with things that can't be moved a the present, so I have no pictures of that one.

post-23901-0-92404100-1354635186_thumb.jpgpost-23901-0-02869900-1354635203_thumb.jpg

Nope, I don't smoke, but I have other bad habits. When I have stamped a bridge and I am a bit in a hurry, I just throw the stamp on the table. Often it is hot enough to produce those marks. You can see some of those on both benches I think.

I also have a habit of wiping off retouching brushes on the edge of table, for some reason I see I tend to put yellow orange hues to the left whilst deeper red is off to the right.