Sign in to follow this  
Tets Kimura

What's your bench top like?

I know you all like seeing other people's workshops and benches, but what I have always enjoyed seeing are close-ups of bench tops. Even without any tool on it, they tell you fascinating stories.

So, I thought, why not start a thread to show such images. Surely I'm not the only one who like seeing such photos!

I start with mine...

post-23932-0-11574200-1353489361_thumb.jpg

Now you are making me want to refinish my benches - Been quite a while since I have refinished them. (Various jig pin holes I use constantly for thumb screws) and quick releases for the B&C cradle to attach it to the bench

post-28844-0-50704800-1353496509_thumb.jpg

Tetsuo, is that an old door ?

On old Sjobergs bench with newish vice jaws, sold it to Paul Gosling buit later asked for it back !

post-24957-0-89331100-1353498774_thumb.jpg

The teak bench top with big vice chops, took the vice on and off a few times, call it OCD.

post-24957-0-04081300-1353498785_thumb.jpg

Before the teak top I had an mdf top on a heavy base, and before that part of a fire door I salvaged and caried home on my back from a skip in Newark.

post-24957-0-60643300-1353498817_thumb.jpg

The big varnish bench with 4 layer mdf, I add a new layer every few years.

post-24957-0-01607000-1353498806_thumb.jpg

Probably the most ridiculous bench I made was from railway sleepers, had to leave it in Newark, too heavy.

post-24957-0-56543300-1353498796_thumb.jpg

At risk of being boring.. I just finished my new workbench which is not in the garage, and is in the house in my office. Nothing interesting to look at but I imagine it will develop some character in time.

post-43707-0-58028900-1353561091_thumb.jpg

Probably the most ridiculous bench I made was from railway sleepers, had to leave it in Newark, too heavy.

I'd love to see that, Ben. Suppose you don't have any photo?

Joseph, I think it will look a lot better after a year of heavy use or so. Have to admit, when I made my current bench, I antiqued it a little.

I probably didn't need to since I bash my bench a lot, anyway, but I felt more comfortable with a slightly worn bench.

post-25192-0-03636600-1353594674_thumb.jpg

My entry for the most boring bench top award.

Laminated countertop from Home Depot, with a plank of MDF on top of it to work on, and some rubber stuff to put tools on.

I use a simple bench hook to reduce bench top & side wear, It is equally simple to use a softwood barrier when gouging or chiseling down towards the bench.

There is no virtue in the careless miss use of a bench top.

ps - my super-heavy kitchen block table gets treated in the same way.

I've done all my stuff on this. Definitely the most boring bench. Works, but slides all over the floor! Would like to make one a little bigger, with drawers to weigh it down with all my tools. Drew one up with dog holes, but wonder if a few well placed holes, or screw stops of some kind, after it is done would be easer.

Ken

post-53723-0-00190100-1353603510_thumb.jpg

Ben,

It takes a lot more than pipe vises. I have two Workmates. The cheapest they made I got new over 20 years ago and a top line model later from a yard sale. I still use both. You won't find anything else as sturdy and rigid for the weight and price. One foot on the foot rest usually holds them in place.

I've done all my stuff on this. Definitely the most boring bench. Works, but slides all over the floor! Would like to make one a little bigger, with drawers to weigh it down with all my tools. Drew one up with dog holes, but wonder if a few well placed holes, or screw stops of some kind, after it is done would be easer.

Ken

I've got one one of those too. I love it. Very good for carving. Same problem with sliding around, so I used to set it up against the cupboard doors to support it. But the new bench is built to the same height so I can support it now with the bench top.

post-43707-0-21656900-1353999974_thumb.jpgpost-43707-0-02706900-1353999983_thumb.jpg

Joseph, I think it will look a lot better after a year of heavy use or so. Have to admit, when I made my current bench, I antiqued it a little.

I probably didn't need to since I bash my bench a lot, anyway, but I felt more comfortable with a slightly worn bench.

Already dropped a file - produced a nice dent, and spilled a splash of varnish today. It's on its way! :)

At risk of being boring.. I just finished my new workbench which is not in the garage, and is in the house in my office. Nothing interesting to look at but I imagine it will develop some character in time.

post-43707-0-58028900-1353561091_thumb.jpg

Nice to see this set-up. I have some space available in my office too and have been wondering whether I could convert a corner into a little workshop.

Not my bench, cannot take any credit for its beauty, but I am in the privileged position to be learning on it. Just wanted to share, since I love the beautiful surface.

post-31586-0-90349000-1354011334_thumb.jpg

Butcherblock top built into the piano-bench that I converted last year. I'm fairly careful with it, so it hasn't surrered a lot of battlescars yet. I put a good number of threaded inserts in the top and in the face for securing fixturing, jigs, etc.

I have plans to build a portable bench from one of the folding workmate benches and mount a slab of the butcherblock with threaded inserts. Possibly plan to visit area fiddlecamps when I retire in a few years and do a little setup-repair using the small folding bench. Even gone so far as to daydream-engineer several foot powered treddle power attachments into the folder.

Steve

post-31641-0-37303400-1354021458_thumb.jpg