Maestronet Forums

Jesse's famous Roth "the Hound"

Oldtimerr

What! After 19 pages on the most famous Roth in history no one on this board has yet to congratulate Jesse on his $7000+ sale? Well I do, and keep up the good work Jesse, but am shocked that the post is now locked for ever! I hope you do not mind my giving it a "name". Perhaps a book will be written about it some day. I understand that Jeff will never leave town again. And Best of Luck with you new Roth listing Jesee, as there should not be 19 pages on this one. It's a beauty. OT

I also think that Jesse deserves to be congratulated on this sale. According to my Red Book, only one Roth violin has ever sold at auction for more than he got for this one -- a "circa 1920" that Tarisio sold a year ago for $8400. One reason that Jesse is able to do so well compared with the "real" violin auction houses is his return-for-any-reason policy that it is impractical for the others to match.

Is it really that surprising for a violin to sell at that price? I thought EH Roth was quite a known luthier of early 20th century. Apart of all what was said about the age of the violin, is $8000 such a uncommon price? I have seen many web sites where brand new violins are sold at that price. And recently Manfio sold one viola for much more than that.

Anyway, looking at the picture again I have noticed vhat even the F-hole on the treble side looks completely free from any dent that could come from soundpost moving or resetting. Is it common for old violins?

Is it really that surprising for a violin to sell at that price? I thought EH Roth was quite a known luthier of early 20th century. Apart of all what was said about the age of the violin, is $8000 such a uncommon price? I have seen many web sites where brand new violins are sold at that price. And recently Manfio sold one viola for much more than that.

Anyway, looking at the picture again I have noticed vhat even the F-hole on the treble side looks completely free from any dent that could come from soundpost moving or resetting. Is it common for old violins?

Robert, you do realise these are just mass produced instruments??

do i think congratulations are in order for selling a factory violin for more than its worth, with misinformation in the description, not exactly!!

It's time to let it go, Lyndon. We've 'Been there -- Done that' !

You guys had 19 pages last week to state your objections.

This was an auction and people bid what they felt it was worth with all things considered!

It's time to move on.

It's time to let it go, Lyndon. We've 'Been there -- Done that' !

You guys had 19 pages last week to state your objections.

This was an auction and people bid what they felt it was worth with all things considered!

It's time to move on.

Are you seriously asking Lyndon to say:

“congratulations for selling a factory violin for more than its worth, with misinformation in the description”

???

Are you seriously asking Lyndon to say:

“congratulations for selling a factory violin for more than its worth, with misinformation in the description”

???

Well, Jacob. I didn't ask Lyndon to say that!

Sometimes it's better to just say nothing.. :rolleyes:

Enough Too much has been said already IMHO.

Hi! I am new here, just because I was really fascinated about this 19 pages discussion.

I like EBay listings like this Roth.

I like Harry Potter, too.

And Brothers Grimm.

And I am really fascinated how much money is to earn with this kind of stories.

Once upon a time I must try it by myself to buy me some good bones.

i think the price was rather low for a pahdah auction with this much exposure, and would have gone much higher if it had a markneukirchen stamp, and no i dont think the red book includes ebay sales or should do so.

Lyndon,

I think we would all agree that the Roth price would have gone higher if everything was in perfect order.

This is why I previously said "This was an auction and people bid what they felt it was worth with all things considered!

I don't mean to shang-hai this thread but sellers can have even worse problems with Auction Houses as evidenced by this story a few months ago. (Of course Auction houses don't allow discussion by possible bidders with 364 posts on MN while the auction is going on.)

Haven't been able to find out how this sad story turned out. Does anyone know?

http://www.violinist...is/20128/13881/

Haven't been able to find out how this sad story turned out. Does anyone know?

http://www.violinist...is/20128/13881/

It`s here:

http://www.maestrone...ly-unavailable/

sadness being a point of view:

the woman not being allowed to unilaterally break a contract with Skibay is "sad" Selling an unknowing third party a mis-represented fiddle is cause for congratulation......Strange place, America

It`s here:

http://www.maestrone...ly-unavailable/

sadness being a point of view:

the woman not being allowed to unilaterally break a contract with Skibay is "sad" Selling an unknowing third party a mis-represented fiddle is cause for congratulation......Strange place, America

Yes, but this sort of thing is not just limited to America.

The violin that was the subject of the blog went unsold and was returned to the owner.

The 19 page thread is a grim (self) reminder of why I choose not to comment publicly on violins in the process of being offered for sale...

I enjoyed the Markneukirchen exhibit at the VSA. No price tags.