I need information dendrochronology

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FiddleDoug,

thanks to reply.

I think my question is simple:

What is the expected year about spruce boards (or a period of approximately 80 years).

I know that there are experts (dendrochronologists), who can easily determine the period or year around for that piece of spruce.

Therefore, I expect an answer, even if it requires payment.

I'll be very surprised if you come up with a date from this photo. I suggest you search sites more directly involved in dendrochronology rather than violin making

a quick Google search brought up this site (beware of the insipid music!) http://web.utk.edu/~grissino/index.htm

a research paper where you might find people doing violin dendro http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/20103352979.html;jsessionid=0BFA041215FA606EFC0B3532B0987F53

You might want to contact Peter Ratcliff....

For the past ten years, Peter Ratcliff, alongside his violin business, has developed one of the world's most extensive Dendrochronological databases, and now offers Dendrochronological testing and reports on instruments of the violin family, as well as early guitars.

http://www.amati.com/dealer/instrument-dealer/peter-ratcliff.html

That should keep you busy for a while ;-)

Oded

lyndon,

far as I know, professionals (dendrocronologists) want at least 50 rings and more to determine the period and about the final year.

much of that is unreadable, i dont see 50 years and you need the lower bout all the way to the edge on both sides, and full pictures of the violin i think, at least thats what i always provided, not every violin is readable, roughly half, in my experience are not

The paper mentions a terminus post quem of 1808, This is actually the latest ring just on the inside of the purfling. There are about 13 or 14 more rings to the very edge of the lower bout. Slighlty surprising that those were ignored in the paper, as there is no evidence that the edge is not part of the main piece.

Well spotted Oded, that paper actually IS about this particular violin, full paper here

Peter, this is all true. That all the facts in the report.

Because I already have one assessment, looking for a second opinion.

Looking for more or a second opinion.

I am not satisfied with the response that: dendro-source study showed that the violin probably originated in Austria and southern Germany. Dendrochronology sometimes talk about the similarities within a radius of 300 km.

This is just one of the contradictions in the report.

So I opened a debate on the right side of spruce.

I would repeat the question from # 1

The paper mentions a terminus post quem of 1808, This is actually the latest ring just on the inside of the purfling. There are about 13 or 14 more rings to the very edge of the lower bout. Slighlty surprising that those were ignored in the paper, as there is no evidence that the edge is not part of the main piece.

Peter,

if we ignore the first report and found a terminus post quem, I would like to see something tells us right away. Or say the same, or not?

My goodness! you are persistent Vlado!

You've done this before, got results, etc...... until such time as somebody tells you your fiddle is Francesco Stradivari, you won't be happy!

Of course, I am persistent, Peter.

I insist on this issue until I get similar answers from all of you recognized experts.

I'm not saying that the "something" Francesco Stradivari, although the violin "original" label in the violin with this inscription.

much of that is unreadable, i dont see 50 years and you need the lower bout all the way to the edge on both sides, and full pictures of the violin i think, at least thats what i always provided, not every violin is readable, roughly half, in my experience are not

Lyndon,

thanks for your explanation and help.

On the right side is about 80-90 nice visual spruce rings. They are quite clear that they are measured.

By this question, I want another (further) opinion, period, final year ....

I think the expert is not impossible task.

What do you think?

The only difference between my test and Micha's test is that I measured a few more rings than he did, as he stopped before the purfling, while I carried on to the latest visible one (because that is the purpose of dendrochronology...). I therefore naturally come up with a slightly later date, with overwhelming results.

We have already been through all this, both privately and on this forum a few months ago...