Maestronet Forums

Genuine old 18th c Italian violin

GoldenPlate

Love those old presses...

anyhow, books vs labels, most books aren’t allowed to collect the kind of dirt that violins seem to collect.

That's why I included posters, which do live out in the open. Admittedly not usually for 200 years, but then again fiddles don't truly live out in the open either, usually, but rather in as controlled an environment as can be managed.

100% linen paper, 200 years old, vs. 100% linen, 200 years old. You’ll find lots of old samplers that have yellowed, grayed, browned, etc. Simply a matter of the environment. One common culprit is a wood-pulp cardboard backing in the frame. Not unlike rag paper in contact with wood for 200 years. :)

I've little experience with samplers, apart from almost making one while teaching myself crewel, so I can't say anything about them. But as to labels stuck to wood, isn't the hide glue acting as a barrier?

The 3 classes of paper subject to excise in 18th c. England were brown, whited brown, and white. White being the highest rate, brown the lowest. What this implies, at least to me, is that even with 100% linen paper, the natural or most common state is brown (which meant any shade from grey to brown).

Just with the appraisal from Mr Hieronymus Köstler, could that be a real appraisal? or something that the seller could have possibly made up?

also, in 1 of the pictures for the scroll, the neck grafting is quite obvious but the other side, it is invisible to my eyes I cannot see an seam or joining of the wood, it looks to be 1 piece. Me just being weird or the grafting job for that side is amazing?

I'm an historical archaeologist by profession and spend a good deal of time in archives - particularly French ones - on documents dating between c. 1700 and1800. I hate to disappoint, but the majority of common private documents (letters,legal documents not on animal skin, etc.) anywhere in this time range are now light brown in colour. Ledgers often are much whiter for whatever reason. I think that label colour will be highly variable, whatever the period, and will depend on a number of factors ranging from original paper stock to environmental conditions. Label colour should not be used as a diagnostic criterion (unless of course it is stark white, or clearly 'tea-stained' and you can see the tell-tale signs of photocopying or traces of a dot matrix...).

Just with the appraisal from Mr Hieronymus Köstler, could that be a real appraisal? or something that the seller could have possibly made up?

also, in 1 of the pictures for the scroll, the neck grafting is quite obvious but the other side, it is invisible to my eyes I cannot see an seam or joining of the wood, it looks to be 1 piece. Me just being weird or the grafting job for that side is amazing?

If you read the whole thread, you might find some answers