Maestronet Forums

Zulu Hound Thread?

Dr_V

i think what jacob is implying is that these violins are "not worth the cost of the repairs needed to make it saleable in my shop" not "the violins are worthless and have no value to anyone"

obviously to me, willing to work for little over $20/hr the violin is commercially viable to restore, but not by much, for someone that needs to make $50/hr for their time, this same violin suddenly becomes "not worth the cost of the repairs", likewise for any higher hourly wage repair person.

generally i work first on the violins i can most efficiently turn into a saleable asset, so this violin that needed tons of work had sat for almost two years classified as not worth the cost of the repairs, until such a time came as i didnt have any good unrepaired violins to quickly repair, so i pulled this violin off the shelf to have something to work on, it was a bit of a gamble, because if the violin had not sounded very good, it would have been very hard to sell, fortunately patience, time, and effort payed off and it turned out to be a very valuable learning experience, as it was a much more difficult and complex restoration project than i normally take on, and the lessons learned and experience gained are perhaps more valuable to me that the sale price of the violin

One term that irritates me for some reason or other is the term violin `made by a master` or `master violinmaker``. It appears to be always Amerricans who use it (with the exception of those who have a lot of experience / professional dealers) .

That, Bob, only goes to prove my theory that Americans are in reality a bunch of Germans, who think that they can speak english (Geigenbaumeister means that you have passed a fairly arduous exam). Funnier is that they all call themselves so-and-so "Fine Violins" however grotty their selection.

well jacob, i take that a little personally; actually my company name taylors fine violins goes back to the mid 80s when i was trying to distinguish myself from my boss' name, kob's fiddles and bows, i think what makes a violin fine is not so much its price or even its quality, but its ability to function for a customer at a given price range, while most people think of fine violins as expensive ones, there are IMO fine intermediate and even fine student grade violins, to my mind a lot of expensive "fine" violin shops sell expensive violins but their student grade stuff often isnt exactly "fine"

to me one of the main things that makes a violin in my store fine, is the time and effort that i put into set up, bridge, post, level fingerboard, perfectly turning pegs etc to make each violin be the best violin it can be given what it is, a lowly stainer label violin may not be a fine violin per say, but set it up as well and expertly as possible and it can become a fine example of what a "stainer" made in germany can be

in other words i dont really believe fine violins has to refer to expensive violins only, but rather the care and effort that goes into buyng, restoring and setting up the best violins you can find in a given price range, and yes it does have something to do about having good taste and not collecting junkers, having good values for the money in each price range, not overpriced duds.

another way of looking at it, in each price range there are fine violins, not so fine violins and not fine at all violins, i do my best to collect the fine ones.

Dear Jeffrey,

I was rather taking exception to the attitude that “experts” all differ anyway, so what the hell

I'm not sure I understand? Please explain this comment. Did you think I was disagreeing with you?

1) I am curious what this means, it seems a very odd thing to say, am I required to use my real name and location when posting? Would my real name and state of 25 million people make me less anonymous? Should I take this statement as a threat? 1a) Will you "out me" if I don't tow the line? I really don't know how to take it so I ask seriously.

2) Either way it is amazing how quickly that zulu hound thread was shut down while others that went on for weeks and were much more antagonistic remain open even now. You say there's no special reason for it, and I guess I'll take your word for it (I don't have another choice do I?)

1) It's possible you may remain curious. It very well could be, however, that the identity comment wasn't meant to mean much of anything to you, personally, at all. 1a) No, if you were to continue to be belligerent, I'd probably choose to approve your posts before they appear, edit your posts, or remove your membership.

2) No, I gave you a very specific reason for it.

The only relevant "choice" you have is how to continue, sir.

I'm not sure I understand? Please explain this comment. Did you think I was disagreeing with you?

1) It's possible you may remain curious. It very well could be, however, that the identity comment wasn't meant to mean much of anything to you, personally, at all. 1a) No, if you were to continue to be belligerent, I'd probably choose to approve your posts before they appear, edit your posts, or remove your membership.

2) No, I gave you a very specific reason for it.

The only relevant "choice" you have is how to continue, sir.

I don't find Dr V to be belligerent at all. Quite the contrary actually! There are some who are definately belligerent, but appear to be allowed to act belligerently with impunity!. I can cut and paste all of their name calling , etc if you wish.

I don't find Dr V to be belligerent at all. Quite the contrary actually!

It doesn't surprise me that you don't.

....I can cut and paste all of their name calling , etc if you wish.

Thank you so much for the offer, but I believe the level of my reading comprehension is acceptable. Concerning judgement of my moderation methods, I understand the members lack knowledge relating most of the actions I take both on the board and in the background.

So Jeffrey moderated me, he has to "approve" all my posts, a bit draconian, but this site has gone horrible downhill from years ago anyway. I was no more rude, offensive, or belligerent than anyone else here and that's a fact, simply look at the post history. I simple called the little clique out and Jeff didn't like that.

(language edited by JH) S*&% it Jeff, I'll just re-register under a different name using a proxy.

So Jeffrey moderated me, he has to "approve" all my posts, a bit draconian, but this site has gone horrible downhill from years ago anyway. I was no more rude, offensive, or belligerent than anyone else here and that's a fact, simply look at the post history. I simple called the little clique out and Jeff didn't like that.

Dear Dr V,

I can't imagine why you'd want to participate on such a horrible unpleasant site, so I've edited your membership further.

(edited by JH) S*&% it Jeff, I'll just re-register under a different name using a proxy.

I assume you've done it before. BTW; Your posts including the (edited) language will remain here as a testament to how unfair I've been to you.

Best of luck.