Tail gut - Kevlar ?

Thanks to Melvin G, I recently used some Kevlar on a large viola.

Anyway, I'm a convert to this stuff, I think it's great coz it doesn't stretch and I can't cut it easily with a sharp chisel.

I'm sure there are better ways to tie the knot than the one I used.

There seems to be another way round the cost, not sure if it's the same stuff.

From a friend :

'' Check out the yachting stores for 'Liros' 2mm kevlar line - solid kevlar plait, dark grey. £ 2 a metre or so ...''

post-24957-0-08691000-1349207889_thumb.jpg

Timely... I have just been thinking about this. After just stringing up a couple of fiddles using the plastic tailgut, and cranking up the pegs several times a day as the tailgut stretched a few millimeters, I'm really annoyed with stretchy tailguts.

Just wondering... anyone noticed any tonal difference using kevlar vs. the plastic? Seems like the plastic is stiff with a lot of damping; it might matter some, but hard to guess if it would be good or bad... or just different.

Just wondering... anyone noticed any tonal difference using kevlar vs. the plastic? Seems like the plastic is stiff with a lot of damping; it might matter some, but hard to guess if it would be good or bad... or just different.

not much difference in violins, more in violas and the most in cellos.

Oded

Regarding the knot on Wittner tailpieces, I had one of these on my cello. when my cello developed a buzz we looked eerywhere until finally my lutier noticed that the kevlar was cutting into the composite material of the wittner tailpiece and caused the buzz. He installed a new piece of Kevlar chord with two knots much like Bens, but because the holes are too big on a Wittner tailpiece, he used two metal rings to make them smaller. All problems solved. I'd recommend either using thicker cord or using two knots like Ben shows, if you want to use this material on composite tail pieces.

Why glue the knot ?

Re- sound of the instrument and tail gut material, is there any actual proof that one materal sounds different form another ?

From what I know the stuff is pretty slippery, glue would insure the knot doesn't budge.

"Proof is in the pudding" or something like that. Very noticeable in cellos, less in violas and hardly in violins.

Generally better response, a bit brighter and louder.

Try it for yourself and you won't need "proof".

Oded

I tried one of the newish Wittner steel tailcords (which I heard have similar acoustic proporties to kevlar cords, but are easier to adjust because they have threads) on my violin; it made the sound slightly clearer but it lost all projection. My luthier told me that when Zuill Bailey tried a kevlar tailcord on his Gofriller, he couldn't stand the sound and had it taken off (and replaced with his old nylon tailcord) after only a few minutes. Giora Schmidt used a kevlar tailcord for a while, but he had his taken off as well.