Bridge was soaped

I prefer pencil lead to lube the string notches.

Who said "baddaboom ...chhhh...(symbol sound)" I think a much better cymbol sound would be Tssssssssssss (if it's a ride cymbol)!

AAhhh, I always considered the follow up sound to be a high hat (semi-closed)!!! Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with burnishing a nice half round as a string groove, little graphite couldn't hurt either (I do that). I certainly wouldn't leave a V notch for the string to grab on to. jeff

• 1 year later...

I've been using The Art of Violin Making as a guide on my first instruments and the authors recommend burnishing the bridge with dry soap and paper. 

I tried this out and it didn't seem to do much for the wood.  

I was hoping for that darkened look most bridges on instruments have.

What do most makers use to seal a bridge?

I've been using The Art of Violin Making as a guide on my first instruments and the authors recommend burnishing the bridge with dry soap and paper. 

I tried this out and it didn't seem to do much for the wood.  

I was hoping for that darkened look most bridges on instruments have.

What do most makers use to seal a bridge?

In due time bridges get sealed with bow rosin.

If you want to smooth the wood you can use an old dull single cut file which will nicely burnish the surface.

when I took my cello in for a set up it came back with tape on the A,D string but also the bridge had a different colour to it and I asked what had happened to my bridge and the Luther said " It's been soaped "

can some explain why a luthier soaps the bridge

James

Why don't you ask your luthier who would know better than any of us?

I learned to finish the bridge with a wipe of teak oil. My bottle has lasted for years, and has more or less settled on the side of the bottle, so all that's left is a very thin oil. I polish the bridge on a piece of writing paper on the bench.

I hang the bridge blanks in the window, and this gives a nice mature colour. I have quite a few, and date them. I use blanks bought at least five years ago if I can.

if I recut the top of a bridge for any reason, and there's a pale patch, I touch it up with my neck rag, which has years of pigment in it, and gives a nice old wood colour, but if you do that on a whole bridge, it will look dirty.

I do all of my bridge cutting and shaping with planes and files. I follow that with a nail file 'card' (about the size of a tongue depressor) which has 4 different grits on a foam board. The finest grits (white and grey) are similar to Micromesh. I don't know the exact grits but they are extremely fine. My final finish is achieved by using a piece of polished stone which burnishes the surface. The end result looks as if the bridge has a thin coat of varnish on it as it is quite glossy. Rosin has a much tougher time grabbing hold of the surface.  

Barry