Sign in to follow this  
willowman

Suggestions for a place to buy quality files and a precision square

Hi All,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a website where one could purchase a high quality file and/or a precision square?

I have always been dissatisfied with the framing squares available at Home Depot and the like. They are too thick, usually somewhat bent, and generally not a precision instrument.

Thanks

Jewelers supply for jewelers square and files.

I routinely go through pawn shops looking for

good sharp files...for about a buck. i had about

all I could use, but I spotted a small half round

file the other day that I would have had to otherwise

purchase in an expensive set with duplicates.

Hi All,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a website where one could purchase a high quality file and/or a precision square?

I have always been dissatisfied with the framing squares available at Home Depot and the like. They are too thick, usually somewhat bent, and generally not a precision instrument.

Thanks

I bought my Starrett squares from these guys 40 years ago, I guess that means I got my money's worth.

http://www.winkshardware.com/contact.html

I get my Grobet files from my local jewelry makers supply house. My local place is called Ed's House of Gems. You can order them from any supply catalogue. Good tools are worth the money. You can spend as much time looking for bargains as you can working to earn the money to pay for new tools. The difference is that at the end you have both the tool and something that you have made to increase your skills and reputation.

I second the vote for Starrett squares. I especially like their 4" double square which has a moveable blade (like the combination squares). Try to get one with metric markings instead of inches but you will probably have to special order. Highland Hardware has a good price on this square.

Starrett is fine quality, but I think they are kind of out of touch with reality regarding their pricing. Lee Valley has some squares that are of comparable quality for less. 05n3501i.jpg

24n0801s2.jpg

I have a $2 Chinese sqaure from the $ shop, compared it to my precision made engineers square.

They are pretty much both sqaure, sqaure enough.

The Chinese one also has a ruled edge, which is itself as good as any of my small rulers.

One good use for a sqaure, check the ends of your plane irons....are they square ?

Cheers.

I find the inexpensive imports adequate. I have three sizes. Once I dropped one and threw it out because it was no longer truly square. So check yours frequently.

I do not trust the adjustable squares that can come misaligned because they can get dust in the slide or even wear out.

My two cents worth.

Mike

Lie-Nielsen sell Auriou Rasps. These are high end hand cut rasps. Most are over $100.00 so be ready when you see the prices. These are probably the best you can get. Metropolitan Music sells hand cut rasps that are about $35.00. I have some of these and they do a good job. Hand cut are way better than machine cut. I also have some of those carving rasps from Japan that Woodcraft sells. They are super sharp and have a special cut to remove a lot of wood at once leaving a cleaner surface. I believe the hand cut rasps from Metropolitan are the best value and do the best job. If you carve cello necks the Japan rasps might be of some value but for fiddle necks, not so much.