Show me your tool (in photos of your wall-mounted tool rack)

I would like to build a wall-mounted rack for my chisels, gauges etc to sit above a chest of drawers.

I have seen glimpses in photos of some pretty cool gizmos, but they often don't show enough detail of the way the tools are distributed and held in place.

Please post photos of your rack to show how the tools are located.

Um? Most of my tools and things are in my tool boxes underneath my side bench but chisels and gouges and knives and such I made a little rack out of some quartersawn oak that was going to be thrown out of a house being restored down the street from us. I figured the 100+ year old oak could see some more days so used it to make my chisel / gouge rack. Some of my books and such live above it. Nothing special really. There is a magnet rack for various scrapers and templates exct.

To be honest I probably only use less than a quarter of these tools. Its way overkill. I probably only need 4 gouges and 3 chisels. and the reamer, and marking gague.

The rest of it is pretty much dust collection.

Underneath all this sits a shelf for knives compasses, fingerplanes. All above my bench and out of the way.

post-28844-0-89138700-1347338655_thumb.jpg

Ive actually thought about getting rid of the rack and in its place putting a larger computer screen to be able to zoom in on some violin image detail photos (and to be able to watch soccer and work)

On the farther wall I really want to get a larger white board over by where all my moulds are - (and throw away all the other moulds) to scribble my notes and research stuff on. Already took up the wall behind me.

-----------

post-28844-0-59714800-1347340048_thumb.jpg

(Yes its a bit of a mess I'm up late tonight trying to clean off my bench before the morning and sweeping up tonight at holy crap 11pm)

post-28844-0-29969100-1347339331_thumb.jpg

I would like to build a wall-mounted rack for my chisels, gauges etc to sit above a chest of drawers.

I have seen glimpses in photos of some pretty cool gizmos, but they often don't show enough detail of the way the tools are distributed and held in place.

Please post photos of your rack to show how the tools are located.

Here's my tool rack. The leather strap mounting idea I had from looking at old wood cuts. Then there's an unloading shelf to unclutter the workbench. Those are the two main points, I guess.

post-24030-0-24931100-1347361561_thumb.jpg

If you go to the library you can read many books about bench and workshop design / storage which will give you some fresh ideas.

Here are two of my benches, simple rack screwed to the back of one, shelves above, magnetic strips etc. Just the usual ideas, nothing new.

Sorry for the distortion of the verticals etc, cheap wide angle zoom lens.

post-24957-0-38557300-1347368528_thumb.jpg

post-24957-0-24204700-1347368539_thumb.jpg

Andrew,

It's nice when things smile at you! Like that box to the right in the first picture.

HAHA Thats my box for closing clamps... I guess I never noticed it does look like it's smiling.

post-28844-0-35988000-1347372613_thumb.jpg

My bench is normally clean - Yesterday was more insane than normal after having an unexpected viola show up at 7pm after a marathon rough arching party.

Oh Janito, I forgot back in my Varnish Room - I had this old rack that I used to use for my tools. The circle was a magnet that I used to use to keep my scrapers and ruler in place till it started scratching the numbers off my ruler over time. Now it is just used in the varnish room for a extra shelf for varnish and papertowels and what not.

I like david Burgess idea of velcro, but I have been going more and more the direction of how Neil does with tool boxes underneath benches. I like bench space for various tasks. Honestly this crap takes up too much space and room... I just rather have a drawer that I could pull out under my bench and grab and go.

post-28844-0-10455600-1347373260_thumb.jpg

Ok a bit off topic - but for you kids who dont have awesome natural lighting to work by or windows. Ive fought this for ages and feel that I finally have something that really makes me happy to work by lighting wise that is pleasing to the eye and really reminds me of natural light in quite a bit of ways. - These LED Lights are expensive to buy at first, but my electric bill for the shop dropped about 60 bucks a month when I switched to these things and the light is so much better on my benches. - (I can't deal with fluorescent lighting - it starts killing my head after awhile). - I just recommend getting the 5000k color so you dont end up with blue looking light.

The multi-led one is the one I use for detail work and is more of a spot lamp - the single one is a flood. I have 5 above my benches and the multi in a swing-arm lamp.

post-28844-0-01338200-1347374686_thumb.jpg

Lowes

I just looked on lowes for the led multi spot lamp that I have in my swingarm lamp... Aparently sylvania quit making them. - Regardless I would suggest just using one of the same ones as below. Fits a standard socket.

I found out that I have been misquoting myself on the color temperature of my lights - they are alll 3000k Color.

SYLVANIA 50-Watt Equivalent Indoor/Outdoor LED Flood Light Bulb

Item #: 352308 | Model #: 78751

http://images.lowes....135787515lg.jpg

The multi-led one is the one I use for detail work and is more of a spot lamp - the single one is a flood. I have 5 above my benches and the multi in a swing-arm lamp.

post-28844-0-01338200-1347374686_thumb.jpg

I've lots of leds in the kitchen but never thought of putting them over the workbench and I'm sick of florescent light too. There's quite a selection on Ebay although I couldn't find a single bulb flood like the one you have.

I have a tool rack against the wall but sits at the back of my bench, it's for gouges, files, metal things I use a lot. It doesn't look beautiful but it fits a lot into a small space. Some of the boxes have multiple pieces of clear plastic tubes that I can drop a tool into and won't hit metal on metal, there's a piece of soft wood on the bottom so a gouge won't chip if I drop it in there.

imageabw.jpg

I think the magent bars are really the easiest and quickest of all to use, some of them are strong enough to holder a jointer plane by the ears.

Jose Catoria does a nice magnet bar, he embedded those small powerful disc magnets into the back of a thin strip of wood so you don´t get that steel to steel click you normally get with magnet bars. Less chance of damaging any sharp edges and it looks neat.