Maestronet Forums

Sleeping Beauty Cello plans

Adam Edwards

I have a fair amount of experience with Montagnana cellos though I've never made a copy of one. I think it's one of the toughest cello models to do right.

The arching is critical, the body is so wide that if the arching isn't right it will collapse. You also have to pay allot of attention to bow clearance at the C bouts which means that the projection needs to be pretty high but that puts too much pressure on the wide top, so the appui (overstand) needs to be extra high. It's a good idea to work out the geometry carefully before you commit arching height, overstand, saddle height etc. Might be a good idea to reinforce the neck foot (a la Burgess)

Oded

Hi Adam,

I'm assuming you already know of the 1740 Montagnana cello plans through "The Strad Posters"? Also http://www.theviolin...ewmann-D102.htm - a must have on the great maker.

These guys are going to sting me for $100 postage , I'll try to find another supplier , thanks for that I'm sure it will be a great read :)

Is that what the website is quoting you? Website quotes are often inaccurate. If so, give them a call, they might be able to give you a more realistic quote. But then you're in Taz, they're in the states. $100 sounds about right if the book weighs what I'm assuming it weighs. It will have to ship USPS Priority Mail at the very least.

These guys are going to sting me for $100 postage , I'll try to find another supplier , thanks for that I'm sure it will be a great read :)

Hi Adam,

You're talking about a book on Domenico Montagnana. There are photographs of the Montagnana instruments that were displayed commemorating the 300th anniversary of his birth in Lendinara near Venice in 1996. Photographs include cellos but it is not a book with measurements. The 1739 Sleeping Beauty is also in there. At the time, it belonged to Orlando Cole who taught for so many years at Curtis in Philadelphia.

I have copies of the book in the shop. So if you have a friend from NZ or AU who is coming to MondoMusica in Cremona, and who is agreeable to carry it back for you in their baggage, you could save a lot on shipping costs. It is not necessarily the book you need to MAKE a cello as the measurements are missing but there are a lot of detail photographs. There are also articles on the life and times of Montagnana.

Bruce

Hello guys,

In front of the Sleeping Beauty Strad Poster, II still have the same question:... but who made this amazing tailpiece, without tuners, but with 4 adjustable nut??

Thanks for your help.

First time I saw the cello was in 1972 in Philadelphia and it already had that tailpiece. Orlando Cole told me he had it made to reduce wolf notes as the instrument had more than one wolf.

Bruce