Maestronet Forums

Real Cappa?

GoldenPlate

Jacob, Another case of 'I can't remember who told me', but quite a few genuine Cappas have Amati labels in them, but the font turns out to be the same as on the few genuine Cappa labels that survive.

Ben

re. Labels: Lütgendorff reproduces a (printed) “Cappa” label, No. 98 in his label section, in vol 2 of the 1922 edition, although he adds the note “Fälschung” (fake) in brackets underneath. He would have sniped this out of one of the Markneukirchen octavo label sheets that were availiable back then. This very same label is in several other “reference” books, mind you without the “Falschung” remark.

I sold a Cappa Cello about 10 years ago, it has been played in the Bruckner orchestra in Linz ever since. I won’t forget that in a hurry, since he insisted on paying cash. The thick auntie at the Raiffeisenbank`s eyes stood out on stalks, like in a Donald Duck comic when I went to pay in an about one foot tall pile of bank notes. :o

Thanks for posting. I may try to go check it out. Whatever it is this does not look like a cheap fiddle. It is really beautiful. I think the facts are stated clearly, and the price seems fair. One of the top dealers here in NYC is selling a Leon Bernardel for over 20K in this economy. Give me a break. Not to mention it was a typical Mirecourt specimen.

I sold a Cappa Cello about 10 years ago, it has been played in the Bruckner orchestra in Linz ever since. I won’t forget that in a hurry, since he insisted on paying cash. The thick auntie at the Raiffeisenbank`s eyes stood out on stalks, like in a Donald Duck comic when I went to pay in an about one foot tall pile of bank notes. :o

Only one foot tall? Is it bad form to ask what a Cappa cello brings these days, or is such talk considered crude and shallow?

The certificate looks very fishy to me. How come there are no accents? French people do not write that way. On French type writers of that time, the e and a with various accents would appear on several keys, and there is NO WAY one French person would write without any of the proper accents.

As for the signature...I find it suprising that one would sign for two persons (Roger and Max) within the same signature. Wouldn't you expect the signature of one of them, or two signatures.

According to Henley's Universal Dictionary Cappa often mislabeled his own violins with Amati label to deceive his patrons, especially with his good instruments. His violins come in small and large pattern. The smaller violins have less than "charming" sound according to Henley, The large pattern ones are much better.

Can someone here shed some light on this? What is a large pattern instrument? I've often heard it when it comes to old Cremonese celli. Montagnana etc., made very large instruments that later on were resized??? There was a similar statement in the auction about this...

As for the signature...I find it suprising that one would sign for two persons (Roger and Max) within the same signature. Wouldn't you expect the signature of one of them, or two signatures.

It's a corporate "signature", not meant to be that of a human, though the more common way would be a human signature "for" the corporation.

I think your point about the lack of accented chars is well-taken, tho there is one (an á) so perhaps there simply aren't any in those words (my French is too limited for me to have an opinion).

It's also very badly typed, which might be common for that particular house but certainly wasn't common in general from whatever I saw during my time working in Europe. Corporate documents were usually taken quite seriously with no strike-overs allowed: do it perfectly or do it over.

Moreover, the blank itself is in such poor condition that I wonder whether it's not a copy itself, now that I look at it again. There are missing chars that shouldn't be missing, and the leading is very bad. Even people whose main interest is the fiddles would notice that and object to it, I'd think, if only because it would make it cursëd hard to fill up the cert.