Maestronet Forums

Same Hippolyte Caussin violin on ebay?

luthier

If you follow the links below, a violin sold back in February to someone in Thailand. The same violin is now for sale here in the US, ending a few minutes after this post. The new seller is using the same pictures and word for word description used by the original seller, iberis2.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=120855651868&si=8Olrkpdh26dFXOECLvx2EVQ4RII%253D&viewitem=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Authentic-French-Violin-by-Hippolyte-CAUSSIN-1880-with-certificate-Rampal-/160866650670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2574664a2e

The seller doesn't even need to have the violin to post it on ebay, sinse the listing is copied verbatum. What is going on here?

If you follow the links below, a violin sold back in February to someone in Thailand. The same violin is now for sale here in the US, ending a few minutes after this post. The new seller is using the same pictures and word for word description used by the original seller, iberis2.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=120855651868&si=8Olrkpdh26dFXOECLvx2EVQ4RII%253D&viewitem=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Authentic-French-Violin-by-Hippolyte-CAUSSIN-1880-with-certificate-Rampal-/160866650670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2574664a2e

The seller doesn't even need to have the violin to post it on ebay, sinse the listing is copied verbatum. What is going on here?

I was puzzled even before you pointed out it was already sold in February.

The seller appears to be in KS (Kansas?) and has no history of violin dealing according to feedback.

It seems the market is cautious too because with 47 minutes to go, the bidding has only reached a little over $500.

Glenn

I suspect that a criminal has hi-jacked a dormant ebay account and is posing as the legitimate eBay user (planedoc) and is trying to steal someone's money by copying and re-listing a listing from a long-ended auction that resulted in a high price. Too bad there is no way to warn the high bidder that they will be separated from their money with no product in return.

Jesse

I suspect that a criminal has hi-jacked a dormant ebay account and is posing as the legitimate eBay user (planedoc) and is trying to steal someone's money by copying and re-listing a listing from a long-ended auction that resulted in a high price. Too bad there is no way to warn the high bidder that they will be separated from their money with no product in return.

Jesse

But they are accepting Paypal, doesn't that provide some protection if no product arrives? Just curious...

pahdah_hound

Jesse

No Jesse, Paypal will be separated from its money.

assuming its a fraud, paypal buyer protection should cover it, doesnt it, of course if they pay outside paypal they're screwed.

I could sell something valuable on ebay, receive my Paypal payment, transfer it to my personal checking account, then close the account as well as the back-up credit card account. Paypal could never get their money back from me except in court. Would Paypal provide the buyer with protection anyway? I don't know. I have not had that experience.

Jesse

I don't always sleep...

I could sell something valuable on ebay, receive my Paypal payment, transfer it to my personal checking account, then close the account as well as the back-up credit card account. Paypal could never get their money back from me except in court. Would Paypal provide the buyer with protection anyway? I don't know. I have not had that experience.

Jesse

I don't always sleep...

That was, but is no longer the case for sellers who (unlike you) don't have a large enough number of verifiable transactions.

For people like the seller who ostensibly hijacked the account, what Paypal does is hold the funds in limbo until the seller can prove the item was delivered to the buyer. Seller cannot touch the funds. Paypal is now essentially pro-buyer.

I'd characterise them as pro-Paypal. Any benefit to the buyer is incidental.

It's an excellent point; you're right. Completely self-serving company. But the relatively (or seemingly, or just the veneer of) 'pro-buyer' slant in their business model is a fairly recent thing. I guess they were sued one too many times.