Just thought I'd throw this out.

When I was a "kid" I applied varnish in what I thought was the typical manner.

Back first, then top, then ribs, then scroll.

I was soon shown to have the whole thing bass-ackwards.

"No little argle, you start with the ribs, then scroll, then front, then back!"

I've been doing it in that order ever since.

The main advantage is that as you are flipping the violin all around to get at the ribs and scroll, you are not swatting at the dust particles, etc. with a big, wet, sticky top and back.

I like saving the back for last because it gives the front time to do it's thing around the f-holes (drips, pools, etc.) and after the back I can fix any movement.

Maybe common knowledge, maybe common sense, but it's a good method if you don't already use it.

Good reasoning. Because of the slightly unusual way I hold the fiddle during varnishing, I do ribs, top (because of the angle), back, then scroll last. For me this is neat and quick.

That is my order of operation also. Then I can always stand the instrument on its scroll on my leg.

Joe

That is my order of operation also. Then I can always stand the instrument on its scroll on my leg.

Joe

Yes, the instrument does need to be steadied. In my modus operandi I stick an old brush handle into the end pin hole of the instrument for this purpose and rest this on my leg or a bench while brushing...( no way would I say do what I do...what works for the individual varnisher is best)

post-23531-0-48058200-1344289811_thumb.jpg