Sign in to follow this  
paolojacm

Printable TEMPLATES - Violin Scroll / FF holes...

Hello,

I'm looking for Stradivari (or anything else) printable templates to cut a violin scroll, in particular a generic back (or just the project to make it with the compasses, just like in "quaderno di liuteria n.13 - Cremona)

And what about the FF holes? Do you know a website to find and print some templates, as in my posters I don't have it, and the FF on the photo are deformed...

thx

I can't directly answer your first question. I have three or four books with scroll templates, supposed to be Strads, but none of them suit my taste well. Some are quite asymmetric. I have moved to lightly scribing a center line, then using a compass to mark a few points. I start with the lowest, a semicircle with about the same diameter as the mouth of the pegbox. Then I find the point that I want to be narrowest and mark that. Then add a few more and connect them with a flexible ruler. It doesn't take any longer than using a template and is a lot more adaptable. If it doesn't look right it is easy to correct before you start cutting.

For FF templates, I mostly use one from a book but also have one that I copied from an instrument by rubbing with a pencil. However, if I remember correctly, there have been a few FF templates posted here. Try a search and you might find what you want. You will have to adjust the size to your preference.

I made an A4 version, which should print at full scale. I did these a while ago. If there is any interest, I can make more. Not this week though, I’m headed out of town again.

Strad-ffs-A4.pdf

This book is worth every penny.Many, many f-holes to scale from many, many makers.Maybe you can find it cheaper?

I agree, the book is pretty expensive too, but very nice to have at hand when needed. I bought it a few years ago in a reminder's book shop in Brescia. Hard to find though it's a kind of collector's item.

I can't directly answer your first question. I have three or four books with scroll templates, supposed to be Strads, but none of them suit my taste well. Some are quite asymmetric. I have moved to lightly scribing a center line, then using a compass to mark a few points. I start with the lowest, a semicircle with about the same diameter as the mouth of the pegbox. Then I find the point that I want to be narrowest and mark that. Then add a few more and connect them with a flexible ruler. It doesn't take any longer than using a template and is a lot more adaptable. If it doesn't look right it is easy to correct before you start cutting.

For FF templates, I mostly use one from a book but also have one that I copied from an instrument by rubbing with a pencil. However, if I remember correctly, there have been a few FF templates posted here. Try a search and you might find what you want. You will have to adjust the size to your preference.

Very well stated. I would add that a study of style and changes from a maker with time are vitally important to creating your own template or method of drawing. Balance & style are critically important in the placement of the f-holes. The Hill book (Strad) has many drawings that reveal important changes. this book should be available in most librarys. Tip...pay attention to the symmetry of the bottom curve as it changes with time. F-holes are like a signature.

If I could, I would use the Guadagnini oval shape in all my instruments but it doesn't work that way.

Good luck!

Thank you all for all these infos! I've made a pair of FF holes Strad style.

The left blue one is a standard model, very close to the FF published in "Quaderni di liuteria" n.13 book.

The right red FF is a work in progress model, as I'd like a tiny 6mm upper eye FF to be placed on my 1690 Strad...

post-24618-0-61245400-1344850720_thumb.gif

STRAD_FF_holes.pdf