Sign in to follow this  
DBurns

Why do you post on Maestronet????

Isn't it Ironic ,that you called something funny...and it's not actually funny ...when it's really Ironic.....funny.Now I'm being sarcastic :lol:

Uh No! I decline, please note that I have couched my statements with "I believe"and I think " ...And I think that my views on sarcasm are in general not towing the "amerocentic"line that gave us the Simpsons and Kat Williams,both personal favorites by the way...My point has been all along that Sarcasm BY IT"S DEFINITION....is a cruel kind of humor ,that relies on context,culture, tonal inflection,body language and relationship in order to be most effective.....The actual words make up a relatively small percentage of the experience.Therefore when communicating in print,sarcasm has limits to being effective.

"sarcasm": sarxis=flesh, masa = chew, gnaw. Sarcasm - literally to chew or gnaw one's flesh, to rip them apart.

You must be one of those people that others are complaining about.

It was just an exercise to demonstrate that deadpan sarcasm doesn't always translate well over the internet. Btw, you're not American by any chance? . . . . . . . . . . Only kidding :)

It was just an exercise to demonstrate that deadpan sarcasm doesn't always translate well over the internet. Btw, you're not American by any chance? . . . . . . . . . . Only kidding :)

My last post was a better example. I'm an American except when in Uruguay, then I'm a Canadian. Cheers!

Now if that where a sheep I'd be impressed!

I try not to bring my personal preferences into the equation too much. Wildebeest through parakeets can be satisfactory, according to what I've read on the internet.

My last post was a better example. I'm an American except when in Uruguay, then I'm a Canadian. Cheers!

See, now that's clever :)

I live on the side of a hill in the West of Ireland beside a field of cows so for me Maestronet is a lifeline to the outside world. I'd go bonkers without it.blink.gif

This sheep was grazing near Jacobs ladder!!

post-5577-0-87923300-1343436840_thumb.jpg

Nathan,

I am interested in knowing where you have been making violins for 30 years?

And I read and post here because it's interesting, because it's VERY helpful to me, and because I really like 99 percent of the people here. They are mostly educated, smart, well-intentioned and helpful. And there is humor here. David Burgess has to the be wildest in the humor area.

I just realized I have no idea about their political affiliations. Which is good, I think.

And for sarcasm, well, it simply does not translate very well on the Internet. You can be "cute" but you need to think about whether it is a kind of barb aimed at someone. Barbs simple don't work in this medium.

I started learning as an intern in the Smithsonian institution restoration shop in 1971. Didn't have much in the way of resources or guidance so spent ten years doing various kinds of woodwork and instrument work on the side, music stores etc. Finally opened a small shop in 1981 and then lucked into a job at W.H.Lee in Chicago and spent 5 years there where I got my real violin making training and then from there to Francais for a couple years and back to Maine where I run a shop at the same place I left to go to Chicago and also make house brand cellos for Chris Reuning which are now sold mainly out of his subsidiary Carriage House Violins. Whew! That's almost as long to tell it as it was to do it. I hope that answers you question.

Close your ears, Nate. ....Nate is an amazingly focused, prolific, and well respected maker...beautiful instruments,mostly cello..speaks his mind and I listen.

OK, open your ears, and if a made you a bit uneasy, I'm sorry....but I figured they should know.

on we go,

Joe

Blush.... Thanks Joe

I must make a confession. One of the reasons I hang out around here is because it gives me material and ideas for writing the occasional article. The topics that get discussed (and the amount of heat they generate) are a good indication of what people find interesting and controversial. And there's always the chance I'll pick up a good quote (like that classic from David Burgess about the fat man in speedos in the parade).

I hardly live in an isolated place, but as far as violin expertise before I found MN, I might as well be in a little town on the west coast of Ireland(not too close to Brian). I didn't really have anyone to ask questions of and had to find my own standards. MN's contributors have opened up this world a thousand fold for me, and I suspect MANY others. I'm blown away by the contributions of experts who take their time to help someone trying to learn, or raise their game. Why do I post? I try to answer low level questions that I have learned from the more experienced here so they don't have to keep repeating the same info over and over. I figure that's my place in giving back, saving their time for more meaningful posts. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think MN has done an amazing amount to raise the awareness (every Day!)of proper repair techniques. I think, to a degree, we will all see a smaller amount of hacked violins wandering into our shops in the future because of this.

OK, I'm gonna put down the scotch and watch the opening ceremonies. Thanks guys :D

First, I'd like to apologize for my posts not being up to the general level of discussion that existed some years ago. After all, I'm a fist-time violin assembler and have not yet formed any profound opinions or learned any tips about some complex aspect of violin construction.

Instead, I'm here to ask and learn basic violin making from those who are successful at creating premier stringed instruments. Please know that I am very grateful for the knowledge I have gained on this forum. And I hope to continue to learn and perhaps one day, I'll be able to reciprocate in a big way.

Best,

Jason

Don't apologize, we all start somewhere; usually naked and on a heavy milk diet. Where you go after that depends on your interests, who you talk to and what questions you ask. This forum wouldn't exist if it wasn't for people like you and I. If we knew everything there was to know, there wouldn't be any reason to expand our horizons.

I confess I also have cows and sheep as neighbors. Yeah pretty isolated. Most of the repairs I do I can lookup in the archives, but when I get stumped, MN's experts have always come through. The rest of the time I post because I have an odd sense of humor, and no social life. Not that they're related. OK, let's not go there...

Im sure that the Irish cow would be perfectly able to make salient comments on what to do with a crummy chinese 'cello with a snapped off neck. Perhaps we dont need Maestronet after all. :blink:

1343468827[/url]' post='551616']

I’m sure that the Irish cow would be perfectly able to make salient comments on what to do with a crummy chinese 'cello with a snapped off neck. Perhaps we don’t need Maestronet after all. :blink:

Don't need Maestronet? No, of course not. All desire is illusion. Hopefully your talking cow is, as well. unsure.gif

Why post on Maestronet?

I want to say first, on Maestronet, I lurk to learn.

Although I have occasionaly asked a question, I usually only post if I have something to contribute.

An abject newbie like me doesn't have much.

Thanks for the lessons!

I don't post often at all, but when I need to know the ramifications of a bass bar too close to the center line, this is the place to go. Also (even if it's usually vicarious) it's good to hear people take the shape of a bridge's kidney with high seriousness. If I run up to my wife saying: “Look, Hon, I grafted this pegbox!!” I get: “That's nice dear. Did you buy milk?”

My old English major reflexes are forcing me to mention the sarcasm sub-thread. I think people are too hung up on dictionary meanings. For Heaven's sake, a “thing” used to be a Danish committee meeting. Sarcasm (in the ordinary sense) seems to me very audience-specific. My brother is a flinty type A, and I can sarcasm all over him-- it's just like a manly tap on the shoulder. My sister is an Episcopal priest, and she would be very hurt with just a tenth of the same abuse. I think this makes its use on the internet a little tricky.

Dburns says he has never been attacked; I must point out that his nose is crooked and his mother dresses him funny.

I hardly live in an isolated place, but as far as violin expertise before I found MN, I might as well be in a little town on the west coast of Ireland(not too close to Brian). I didn't really have anyone to ask questions of and had to find my own standards. MN's contributors have opened up this world a thousand fold for me, and I suspect MANY others. I'm blown away by the contributions of experts who take their time to help someone trying to learn, or raise their game. Why do I post? I try to answer low level questions that I have learned from the more experienced here so they don't have to keep repeating the same info over and over. I figure that's my place in giving back, saving their time for more meaningful posts. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think MN has done an amazing amount to raise the awareness (every Day!)of proper repair techniques. I think, to a degree, we will all see a smaller amount of hacked violins wandering into our shops in the future because of this.

OK, I'm gonna put down the scotch and watch the opening ceremonies. Thanks guys :D

I'm with you Jeff... Perfectly stated!... except maybe the scotch... I'm thinking Akvavit and Tuborg to wash it down :P

Thanks to all the experts... your advice and opinions are worth more than can be expressed!

Cheers Mat