Sign in to follow this  
DBurns

Looking for Part 2 of 'Trade Secrets' Making Madder

"Trade Secrets

Eero Haahti explains his quick and easy method of making traditional lake pigments"

Part one was in the May issue.

The next, June issue had an article on the soundpost.

Does anyone know what issue has part 2 of Eero Haahti's madder article?

Thanks

The second part is planned for the October issue.

I hope that helps,

Ariane

Thank You most kindly.

When you planned to make this a 2 part Trade Secrets was it known in what issue the second part would be printed in?

It would be nice for multi part Trade Secrets if at the end the issue is given when the next part will be published.

Also not every month on the website does it list who and what will be in the upcoming Trade Secrets all the time.

It would be nice to have that information consistently listed.

A question about the posters; Do you know, or can you say IF the posters will be regular every year, and posted in the same months issues every year?

I ask because IF I decide to subscribe, and there are two posters a year, then I would want to subscribe during the interm, so as to not miss any of the posters.

IF there is no pattern to the posters, then I have to consider it as taking my chances that things will workout alright.

Thank You again.

I also seem to remember that Fiddlecollector posted another slightly different method that involved HCl treatment. that was a real change from all the other recipes I found on the web.

Well I see that the second part of the

"Trade Secrets

Eero Haahti explains his quick and easy method of making traditional lake pigments"

Part one was in the May issue.

The next, June issue had an article on the soundpost.

Does anyone know what issue has part 2 of Eero Haahti's madder article?

Thanks

October 2012 "The Strad"

"Trade Secrets

Mathijs Heyligers on re-setting a Baroque neck on an old violin"

Well I see that part 2 is not in the October Issue of "The Strad".

Anyone know when it will be issued?

I hope someone buys some Alkanet from Kremer, a common weed found in europe. It is colored brown by umber pigments, orange/red by linseed oil containing lead driers. It is directly souble in alcohol and oil and is light stable. Organic lipstick .is colored with Alkanet tinctoria..It is far easier to use then logwood, pernambuco, madder extractions. fred

Roberto

Fiddle collector using mineral acid separated the complex sugar fraction off the madder molecule so that the pure dye portion, Alizarin,is left. It is a very intense dye. In the old days it was prepared this way or by fermentation. I gave up trying either. fred (how can you keep your post from going bold. I don't think i change anything)

I hope someone buys some Alkanet from Kremer, a common weed found in europe. It is colored brown by umber pigments, orange/red by linseed oil containing lead driers. It is directly souble in alcohol and oil and is light stable. Organic lipstick .is colored with Alkanet tinctoria..It is far easier to use then logwood, pernambuco, madder extractions. fred

Fred ,ive tried Alkanet a few times still got a bag full left ,always found it turning towards the blue side of red!

RE above: THe madder process i use also seperates the dye molecules,so you can make yellow lakes ,etc... with the washings.

Well I see that the second part of the

October 2012 "The Strad"

"Trade Secrets

Mathijs Heyligers on re-setting a Baroque neck on an old violin"

Well I see that part 2 is not in the October Issue of "The Strad".

Anyone know when it will be issued?

Sorry for the misinformation, chaps - this is in the November issue.

Regarding posters, I tried to make them regular in the past but it's nice to have some flexibility around themes and the balance of the magazine over the year, so this isn't always possible. And sometimes it just takes me longer to fix things than I think it will. But I take your point and will try to come up with a more regular system and a better way of communicating it, so thanks for the feedback. In the meantime, Carlo Chiesa is currently working on a Rugeri violin poster for the December issue.

Hi fiddle collector, try ground alkanet, some turmeric, so that alk and turmeric makes up about 1/3 vol in alcohol, anything over 80% alc is ok. Spread on finished wood with tiny rag to a fairly solid color. It should be a nice solid brown.( Applying varnish, I suspect some of the dye dissolves out of the wood into the varnish.) The final color is based on the metal present in the varnish. I add umber as a drier when making varnish so the lakes formed are brown. In the past, lead was the main drier used which I'm guessing would give orange red with most natural dyes used at that time. Lead is now prohibited, so cobalt and manganese are used. I know cobalt kills color, so I stay away from commercial boiled linseed oil. I think the bluish tint is from the lack of a reactive metal to form a colored lake. Just a guess. fred