Sign in to follow this  
edi malinaric

Brian Lisus' latest cello

Hi Brian! Its hard living with some of the cruel comments on this site. I too have suffered greatly. But as I remember from our school days, you lived through one of my cruelest periods and survived to be a better person. I blame myself for your generosity and niceness. So please don't go. If you could survive three years with 'Mad Joe Thrift', that vamp Julie Reed, crazy Anne Housey, wimpy to whompy John Dilworth, Merv the perv and the rest you can manage a few more weeks with these geeks. I for one loved your post on this cello. Moreover you gave a lot of good quality free info especially on varnishing. If they are not grateful they must be stupid.

Hi Brian! Its hard living with some of the cruel comments on this site. I too have suffered greatly. But as I remember from our school days, you lived through one of my cruelest periods and survived to be a better person. I blame myself for your generosity and niceness. So please don't go. If you could survive three years with 'Mad Joe Thrift', that vamp Julie Reed, crazy Anne Housey, wimpy to whompy John Dilworth, Merv the perv and the rest you can manage a few more weeks with these geeks. I for one loved your post on this cello. Moreover you gave a lot of good quality free info especially on varnishing. If they are not grateful they must be stupid.

Hi Roger,

Great to hear from you again and thanks for reminding me of those wild days at Newark. I guess we survived them, not to mention my accommodation without central heating, so the skin has been thickened and being on Maestronet will be a walk in the park !

I guess it will be safe to step out of the cocoon and if things get tough I might enlist your support, in exchange I happy to caddy for you anytime!

Cheers,

Brian

Had quite a few requests for some photos of my latest cello, so here is one. Tomorrow in natural light will try and take a few more close ups.

Beautiful. The more pictures the better! The best part of being her is getting to see other makers work!

Chris

Beautiful. The more pictures the better! The best part of being her is getting to see other makers work!

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have just taken some more photos .. not the best but I dont have a proper studio with reflected or bounced off light which would be so much better!

Brian

post-53559-0-60132000-1343472879_thumb.jpg

post-53559-0-06720500-1343472892_thumb.jpg

post-53559-0-31464200-1343472898_thumb.jpg

post-53559-0-03891000-1343472923_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris,

I have just taken some more photos .. not the best but I dont have a proper studio with reflected or bounced off light which would be so much better!

Brian

Brian,Hey thanks for staying with us,

Wonderful pic's,I'm especially enjoying the third photo,the one with the varnish texture reflections. I've watched your video again, would you mind talking about your varnish making a bit? Specifically, why walnut oil ? Do you cook the oil before adding rosin,or just heat it enough to dissolve the rosin? What ratio of rosin to oil are you using? Are there any other details you care to share? I don't want to be a bother.

James

Brian,Hey thanks for staying with us,

Wonderful pic's,I'm especially enjoying the third photo,the one with the varnish texture reflections. I've watched your video again, would you mind talking about your varnish making a bit? Specifically, why walnut oil ? Do you cook the oil before adding rosin,or just heat it enough to dissolve the rosin? What ratio of rosin to oil are you using? Are there any other details you care to share? I don't want to be a bother.

James

Hi James,

A lot of things I do are based on gut feelings so I will never attempt to justify anything I do scientifically because I have not got a clue!

However as far as I know walnut oil is classified as a ‘non drying’ oil and that it maintains its flexibility forever.

No I don’t cook the oil before varnishing but I do wash it in water and then filter off the clear stuff, which takes about ten days to settle. Once done I sun thicken the oil .. that is the most difficult part knowing what consistency to stop at. If it is too thin it will take quite long to dry if too thick you wont be able to apply the varnish. The varnish is not thinned with a solvent and can only be applied with your finger or a stiff brush, and all the finger marks flow out.

Ratio of oil to resin … 60 to 40 by weight. That is the oil would be 60. The resin part made up of 5 percent mastic. The powdered resin is added to the oil slowly stirring all the time heating up to 175 degrees C. Add the mastic when it cools down to around 115 C.

This is only part of the process. I use three parts of this home made varnish and then add 1 part walnut oil varnish which is already made up. ( From Magister ) This combines well and thins the varnish slightly and makes it more durable too. I also add 2 percent siccative.

The finished surface is certainly not “perfect”, but the I remember meeting Charles Beare one day after showing him my perfectly smoothly finished off cello and he pointed me in the right direction and he spoke about texture and then showed me a glorious Montagana cello so my whole approach changed. I don’t polish it when done and leave it as is … and sometimes a light rub with Super Nicko and a bit of Tripoli powder, but very, very lightly.

Ok .. now I guess I have to face the music as several people have suggested I don’t share my information on this forum … but then again being out on limb here in South Africa I know only too well what is like trying fathom out the mystery. I have had help from others and then I have also done hundreds of different experiments on my own which I have found loads of fun.

Lastly let me say this varnish is nothing special and I would be the first one to say that. Someone on this forum called me an amateur which I kind of like and they are probably right too as no doubt the Pros on closer examination would tear me to shreds. But that is fine, I m not trying to prove anything except tone is absolutely everything to me the system certainly seems to work !

Beautiful work Brian!

Welcome to Maestronet and if I may say, you are lucky to have Edi as a student.smile.gif

Hi Carobartolini,

Yes Edi is a great guy .. you wont find someone more generous who spends most of his time making jigs or templates for me or helping the other students !

Myself being a bit of dreamer and Edi an engineer it does make for interesting conversation as I like to make life hard for myself, Edi always has an easier way !

Cheers,

Brian

Ok .. now I guess I have to face the music as several people have suggested I don’t share my information on this forum … but then again being out on limb here in South Africa I know only too well what is like trying fathom out the mystery. I have had help from others and then I have also done hundreds of different experiments on my own which I have found loads of fun.

Hmph! The violin mafia eh?,or was it the fiddle fascists? :unsure: I hear that sometimes they work together?...Anyhow thanks for taking the risk for a total stranger.I'm cooking resin today....

Hi Carobartolini,

Yes Edi is a great guy .. you wont find someone more generous who spends most of his time making jigs or templates for me or helping the other students !

Myself being a bit of dreamer and Edi an engineer it does make for interesting conversation as I like to make life hard for myself, Edi always has an easier way !

Cheers,

Brian

Hey who's plugging for whom here? Seems a natural thing for an engineer to do - our life centres around problem solving.

My only regret is that starting classes with Brian coincided with being hauled out of retirement and finding myself back in harness. Initially I held out and only worked 4 days a week - unfortunately I was pressurised to change to working full time. This meant that I could only get to Brian on Wed evenings - so progress slowed a huge amount. Not much chance of relief - I've been put on a project that should come to an end in 2020 - and I'll be 81 or so by then....

The last few years I have learnt a tremendous amount from Brian - and, as you are finding out, he's completely open about his methods.

But then there's always the one about being wary of Greeks bearing gifts? Isn't this the chap who, a couple posts above - #78, graciously offered me the opportunity to do the rough arching of his next cello?! :-)

cheers edi

Hey who's plugging for whom here? Seems a natural thing for an engineer to do - our life centres around problem solving.

My only regret is that starting classes with Brian coincided with being hauled out of retirement and finding myself back in harness. Initially I held out and only worked 4 days a week - unfortunately I was pressurised to change to working full time. This meant that I could only get to Brian on Wed evenings - so progress slowed a huge amount. Not much chance of relief - I've been put on a project that should come to an end in 2020 - and I'll be 81 or so by then....

The last few years I have learnt a tremendous amount from Brian - and, as you are finding out, he's completely open about his methods.

But then there's always the one about being wary of Greeks bearing gifts? Isn't this the chap who, a couple posts above - #78, graciously offered me the opportunity to do the rough arching of his next cello?! :-)

cheers edi

Hi Edi,

Yes I remember that now ... so have since stuck to my more tried and trusted way of carving everything by hand ... and as I have said many times, doing things by hand can be a lot quicker that the time it takes to set up a machines, unless of course you are mass producing.

But I love all your innovations and observing how a real engineer can solve problems !

Cheers,

Brian

I am now asking myself .. do I really need this in my life ?

I am not trying to prove anything and I am certainly no expert. I just love making instruments … as strange as it may sound I think of the trees growing in the woods when working, the amazing coincidence of how this particular wood landed up on my workbench. I marvel when hearing someone play a beautiful piece of music which lifts one to another world, the coming together of all the varnish resins and oils, the carving of the wood, magical …. so logging into this forum to be insulted will no doubt destroy the wonder and magic that I still enjoy. I like my hibernation !

I do love sharing things I have discovered or passing on things that I have learnt .. and have fellow makers in Iran sun thickening walnut oil and making my varnish, makers in Turkey corresponding with me about aspects of violin making , they are so appreciative and we have a wonderful rapport.

So I am afraid I will be leaving the forum … thanks to those of you who have sent me such lovely mails, feel free to contact me privately. I have no secrets and will gladly share anything with you.

Best wishes,

Brian

No doubt you will be one of the few good information sources in this forum, if you decide to stay in the forum.

It is beautiful cello sound in your video, although my ears are not educated in cello sound.

Please keep posting your videos and sound samples of new ones, they are very informative.

I see a lot of good details, in the ground and treatment information you share generously.

Thanks for sharing.

I know some makers from Istanbul, always get a couple of glass ice cold raki and get a good chat, every time I visit Istanbul.

Not luthiers, but I know some poets from Iran, one of them, is my father in law, passed away a decade ago.

So far with the artistry of lutherie, apparently it can happen any where, regardless.

Beautiful post,

You are welcome Brian.

No doubt you will be one of the few good information sources in this forum, if you decide to stay in the forum.

It is beautiful cello sound in your video, although my ears are not educated in cello sound.

Please keep posting your videos and sound samples of new ones, they are very informative.

I see a lot of good details, in the ground and treatment information you share generously.

Thanks for sharing.

I know some makers from Istanbul, always get a couple of glass ice cold raki and get a good chat, every time I visit Istanbul.

Not luthiers, but I know some poets from Iran, one of them, is my father in law, passed away a decade ago.

So far with the artistry of lutherie, apparently it can happen any where, regardless.

Beautiful post,

You are welcome Brian.

Hello Selim,

Many thanks for your message .... I looked at your web site and your violins sound wonderful!

Best wishes,

Brian