Sign in to follow this  
edi malinaric

Brian Lisus' latest cello

Is that so ? Then he should probably join the forum, participate in the discussions, share experience AND present his work if he wants to.

Roger Hargrave, Bruce Carlson, Jacob Saunders, David Burgess, Jeffrey Holmes, Melvin Goldsmith, etc etc do exactly that to the benefit of us all.

Wouldn't that be so much better than having his student "plugging" a poorly made video from which all I can understand is that it looks like a cello, sounds common, has a really expensive piece of wood for the back and the player needs practice.

I have posted on Brian Lisus making The Quartet of Peace.

"The Quartet of Peace" for South African Nobel Prize Winners A nice blog with video of a Quartet being made in honour of 4 winners.

So I guess I fall into that group of "plugging".

Here is the link if it is not working for some people.

Or go to Youtube and seach for 'Cello comes to life ...'

I appreciate the contributions that all of the above listed makers make here at Maestronet, along with others, and I often wonder how they can find the time.

Now Brian Lisus teaches a school, a time consuming affair to say the least, so if you want to benefit from his knowledge, then perhaps you could enroll in one of his classes. Though why would someone want to enroll in a class taught by a maker who does not impress oneself I don't know why?

So that begs the question of why would you want someone who makes what you call a common cello post here?

Afterall what is there to learn from that.

You know hard as it may seem to some, Maestronet is not at the centre of the violin making world, and so one can put back into the violin world by making contributions in other ways.

The above link, for those interested, is a film of almost 1 hour with footage of The Quartet of Peace being made.

As for myself, I enjoy seeing pictures of finished work, no matter who or what caliber, and if we cannot at a violin making forum enjoy that, and cheer on each other and help the person that accomplished that task, then why are we here in the first place?

I hope to one day post my very own first instrument, and I hope that it will bring joy to others here attempting to do so themselves, or bring back fond memories of those who can look back and remember their first instrument. And yes I will have alot of people here at Maestronet to thank for the help, as well as others else where, and one of those people will be Brian Lisus for helping with his videos.

Brian Lisus is a highly respected maker. :rolleyes:

Is that so ? Then he should probably join the forum, participate in the discussions, share experience AND present his work if he wants to.

You know hard as it may seem to some, Maestronet is not at the centre of the violin making world, and so one can put back into the violin world by making contributions in other ways.

Very well put DBurns, and it seems that Brian Lisus, whom I'd never heard of before Btw, has put back a lot more than most. Thanks for the links. :)

What's with the arrogant snotty attitude? you don't know anything about this individual or his work and yet you feel compelled to insult him. If I were him I would be slow to join this forum after seeing comments like yours.

Apparently it is you who knows nothing about that individual. I met him 15 years ago or so, I listened to a couple of his instruments which were nicely made but tonally needed work and I OWN A VIOLIN BY HIM. I am not criticizing him, neither am I insulting him. I have an objection towards creating unsubstantiated "noise". There is NOTHING I can conclude from the "plug" we received. On my computer it could be anything and it sounds like anything. A couple of nice pictures with details of the instrument and a decent recording would be nice. Otherwise, what was the purpose ?

And next time Sir, talk about what you know and don't carelessly presume what I know.

As for myself, I enjoy seeing pictures of finished work, no matter who or what caliber, and if we cannot at a violin making forum enjoy that, and cheer on each other

Just say so ! I'll cheer you. I'm a bit arthritic but I'll do my best.

Apparently it is you who knows nothing about that individual. I met him 15 years ago or so, I listened to a couple of his instruments which were nicely made but tonally needed work and I OWN A VIOLIN BY HIM. I am not criticizing him, neither am I insulting him. I have an objection towards creating unsubstantiated "noise". There is NOTHING I can conclude from the "plug" we received. On my computer it could be anything and it sounds like anything. A couple of nice pictures with details of the instrument and a decent recording would be nice. Otherwise, what was the purpose ?

And next time Sir, talk about what you know and don't carelessly presume what I know.

Carl - maybe next time don't click on the video if its going to get you this upset, or go and buy some new speakers for your computer because the video sounded fine on my computer? :lol:

Just in case anyone missed this, his post was delayed.

Hello Carl .. someone pointed me towards the Maestronet forum as you were discussing my latest cello. I just registered myself so I could reply.

Firstly let me say I did not get Edi, my student to plug the cello, it was his idea to post the link.

As to sharing information like the other violin makers you mentioned. I have posted an hour long video of me making a string quartet covering the entire process. Here is the link

and it can also be found on my web site.

This video was initially on my web site as a flash video viewed by thousands of people, but have recently uploaded in onto Youtube

I have had wonderful responses to this video over the last 18 months and have been contacted by violin makers from Iran, Turkey, Eastern Europe whom have asked me all sorts of questions … so I might not participate in Maestronet forums, but I am so grateful that I have been able to pass on information and experiences with other violin makers around the world.

As to the sound of the cello that you refer too … I guess it is a matter of taste and how people interpret sounds differently. I respect your opinion but at the same time it is amazing all the favorable comments and emails to me, that this cello has received, including those from leading cellists around the world.

As to ‘plugging’ my instruments ….. I would like to believe that they speak for themselves considering that I have sold every instrument I have made and have usually enjoyed at least a six month waiting period for most of my career spread out over more than thirty years.

Hello Carl .. someone pointed me towards the Maestronet forum as you were discussing my latest cello. I just registered myself so I could reply.

Firstly let me say I did not get Edi, my student to plug the cello, it was his idea to post the link.

As to sharing information like the other violin makers you mentioned. I have posted an hour long video of me making a string quartet covering the entire process. and it can also be found on my web site.

This video was initially on my web site as a flash video viewed by thousands of people, but have recently uploaded in onto Youtube

I have had wonderful responses to this video over the last 18 months and have been contacted by violin makers from Iran, Turkey, Eastern Europe whom have asked me all sorts of questions … so I might not participate in Maestronet forums, but I am so grateful that I have been able to pass on information and experiences with other violin makers around the world.

As to the sound of the cello that you refer too … I guess it is a matter of taste and how people interpret sounds differently. I respect your opinion but at the same time it is amazing all the favorable comments and emails to me, that this cello has received, including those from leading cellists around the world.

As to ‘plugging’ my instruments ….. I would like to believe that they speak for themselves considering that I have sold every instrument I have made and have usually enjoyed at least a six month waiting period for most of my career spread out over more than thirty years.

Again. welcome here, Brian. I missed your post - I have problems with the latest update of Opera. I think I expressed clearly my objection : the video is utterly insufficient to form an opinion and you being not a member ( took you a couple of years ... B) ) it felt to me somehow inappropriate. The sound of the cello is, for me, only what I can infer from the video. The instrument deserves probably a much better recording ( and the player more time to familiarize ).

Again. welcome here, Brian. I missed your post - I have problems with the latest update of Opera. I think I expressed clearly my objection : the video is utterly insufficient to form an opinion and you being not a member ( took you a couple of years ... B) ) it felt to me somehow inappropriate. The sound of the cello is, for me, only what I can infer from the video. The instrument deserves probably a much better recording ( and the player more time to familiarize ).

Carl you're pretty hilarious, first off you don't even know who Brian Lisus is, then you rip the cello, then Brian joins and you try and back peddle. Here's a little tip - no instrument sounds the best over the internet, oh and another, if watching a video is going to get you this upset maybe you should just keep it to yourself. If this post is going to get you upset, feel free to put me on your ignore list :lol:

PS. Brian Lisus is an amazing maker.

Carl - maybe next time don't click on the video if its going to get you this upset, or go and buy some new speakers for your computer because the video sounded fine on my computer? :lol:

Thank you! I don't know much about these things. I'll replace my speakers.

Carl you're pretty hilarious, first off you don't even know who Brian Lisus is, then you rip the cello, then Brian joins and you try and back peddle. Here's a little tip - no instrument sounds the best over the internet, oh and another, if watching a video is going to get you this upset maybe you should just keep it to yourself. If this post is going to get you upset, feel free to put me on your ignore list :lol:

PS. Brian Lisus is an amazing maker.

No, it does not get me upset in the slightest. I'm always glad to learn new things. I'll change the speakers and I'll take notice that instruments don't sound at their best over the internet. And please try read my posts ( if you can ) or you'll sound like a moron.

Hello again Carl,

Thanks for your response and I accept your objections, but then again as I said before it was not me who posted the link.

As to that recent video clip of my latest cello … I received these mails in the past day.

One from the principal cellist of one of France’s leading orchestras :

Hello Brian,

Marvellous !

I am jealous ! I would like to try it !

May be, I come to Capetown tomorrow....

Great congratulations !

Then another from a cellist who last year had his recoding of the Beethoven cello sonatas highly acclaimed in the Strad magazine:

Hi Brian

A beautiful sounding cello indeed. And a lovely player too!!

I am more than happy to give you privately their names and contact details if you wish? I did not think it appropriate to do that here without first asking them.

You mentioned you have my of my violins … I have a record of my instruments and wonder which one it is ? Can you let us know what is says on the label … I am more than happy to set it up for you and would love to hear it again too. It would be matter of us connecting somewhere as have no idea where you live.

Best wishes,

Brian

That Cello is your first and it was a 'commission' ?

Seems you know how to sell, let me know how to do it sometime.

Hello Ben,

I have made several cellos over the years .. if you check out my web page I have sound recordings of four different cellos.

Best wishes,

Brian

Hello again Carl,

Thanks for your response and I accept your objections, but then again as I said before it was not me who posted the link.

As to that recent video clip of my latest cello … I received these mails in the past day.

One from the principal cellist of one of France’s leading orchestras :

Hello Brian,

Marvellous !

I am jealous ! I would like to try it !

May be, I come to Capetown tomorrow....

Great congratulations !

Then another from a cellist who last year had his recoding of the Beethoven cello sonatas highly acclaimed in the Strad magazine:

Hi Brian

A beautiful sounding cello indeed. And a lovely player too!!

I am more than happy to give you privately their names and contact details if you wish? I did not think it appropriate to do that here without first asking them.

You mentioned you have my of my violins … I have a record of my instruments and wonder which one it is ? Can you let us know what is says on the label … I am more than happy to set it up for you and would love to hear it again too. It would be matter of us connecting somewhere as have no idea where you live.

Best wishes,

Brian

Hi Brian,

I am happy to hear you are getting excellent responses. You might not remember but I met you in the mid 90s, I believe with Denise Sutton ( who was PACT concertmaster at the time ? ). I actually bought your violin in Munchen from a russian player who got himself into a bit of a pickle. I would be delighted if you could attend to a certain matter with it. I'll contact you privately about this.

No, it does not get me upset in the slightest. I'm always glad to learn new things. I'll change the speakers and I'll take notice that instruments don't sound at their best over the internet. And please try read my posts ( if you can ) or you'll sound like a moron.

HA HA Carl you just don't give up do you? If you think for a second you can bully me around on an internet forum you are sadly mistaken. I have read your posts (I can read) and if anyone has come out sounding like 'a moron' it is most certainly you. Now just calm down and everything is going to be alright... :lol:

HA HA Carl you just don't give up do you? If you think for a second you can bully me around on an internet forum you are sadly mistaken. I have read your posts (I can read) and if anyone has come out sounding like 'a moron' it is most certainly you. Now just calm down and everything is going to be alright... :lol:

I actualy think I can.

Brian ,Thanks for joining us,it's an honor , The peace quartet video is a very inspiring piece. Would you mind going into a bit of detail on the stenciling technique for the backs?

Brian,

Let me add my welcome to the others posted here. My speakers work perfectly fine, the cello sounds wonderful, esp., considering its young age, and there's nothing at all wrong with the player, either.

As a long-time professional cellist who's sat on many an audition committee, I can say with some authority that the young woman plays perfectly well.

Please don't let any negativity you may encounter affect your participation here. I for one am more than a little glad to have someone of proven talents contribute.

Still wish it were possible to post some detailed stills of the instrument, but maybe it's just a matter of me finding the time to research your Website.

Best of luck to you, my friend.

Brian,

Let me add my welcome to the others posted here. My speakers work perfectly fine, the cello sounds wonderful, esp., considering its young age, and there's nothing at all wrong with the player, either.

As a long-time professional cellist who's sat on many an audition committee, I can say with some authority that the young woman plays perfectly well.

Please don't let any negativity you may encounter affect your participation here. I for one am more than a little glad to have someone of proven talents contribute.

Still wish it were possible to post some detailed stills of the instrument, but maybe it's just a matter of me finding the time to research your Website.

Best of luck to you, my friend.

Hello vclati,

Many thanks for the welcome and for your encouraging words. I will try and see if I can get some stills taken of the cello and will post them here .... I do have quite a few on my web site though, but of previous instruments.

Best wishes,

Brian

Yes, the Quartet of Peace project was fascinating along with the high quality making videos like this example:

For someone like me who is just a hobby maker, I found the videos to be very insightful. Thank you Brian.

James