Sign in to follow this  
Jeffrey Holmes

What's on your bench? (mk5)

.I had to strip this violin 4 times before my normal varnish would work......the varnish god/godessess were watching me and laughing.....after my hubris and pride was busted they just gave me enough varnish for one violin

post-23531-0-34739200-1346800317_thumb.jpg

Little too late in the day to be taking photos in natural light (the varnish is not quite this dark it was 6pm or so) but new violin off my bench this evening....BTW I really like these Peter Infeld PI strings - They got some silky punch

post-28844-0-48716000-1346808455_thumb.jpg

Drop me an email Carlo - Not holding back secrets here, but its a combo of things and just dont want to spend 30 posts explaining the method of the final product. To get to this red was an optical refraction effect of several layers. What you see is not what it seems. This is that double cooked "Ruggeri Brown" underneath the red coats that I was talking about..

Here is a better photo underneath a 5000K lamp - color corrected photo with details of the varnish- last nights photos were terrible light...

post-28844-0-93469600-1346860243_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ernie. I started using fish glue on my necks several years ago. Since it is still a "hide" glue it is still reversible.