Sign in to follow this  
wireman24

The Messiah real of fake?

My gut tells me it's a fake.

I have a feeling Vuillaume made it.

I also think many other strads are fakes as well.

A friend of my grandfather was a respected luthier and Conservator during the 1920's in Chicago he had worked on several Strads over the course of his career. He also felt the same way that many are fakes.

What do you guys think?

I have never personally seen it, so I have no opinion. However, I was talking to a luthier friend who had seen it and he said that he thought it was made by Vuillaume. Said it just didn't have the same feel to it that other genuine Strads had. Too perfect.

Also, I believe Vuillaume made a suspicious amount of Messiah "copies". Seemed rather odd for him to make the volume of copies that he did.

A friend of my grandfather was a respected luthier and Conservator during the 1920's in Chicago he had worked on several Strads over the course of his career. He also felt the same way that many are fakes.

What do you guys think?

I agree. I solved this problem long ago : it's a fake made by Stradivari himself. A clever marketing ploy to sell cheaper without damaging the main brand....

I agree. I solved this problem long ago : it's a fake made by Stradivari himself. A clever marketing ploy to sell cheaper without damaging the main brand....

Strad secret #479: Increase market share.

Personally, I think Roger Hargrave made it, then hopped in a time machine, and using a fake Italian accent, sold it to Vuillaume. laugh.gif

Or, maybe, he used the time machine, went to Strad’s shop, stole it, then fast forwarded to Paris, and...

Ooh, ooh! I know... rolleyes.gif

Not sure where Pollens comes into this whole time machine thing, but give me a day or two to work it out? Something about chronology errors....

My gut tells me it's a fake. I have a feeling Vuillaume made it....What do you guys think?

I think that your gut and your feelings are not useful in determining the authenticity of violins. Do you have any evidence?

What do you guys think?

We've been through this before - it's Brian.

Tim

Strad's work changed alot over his very long life, so it's entirely possible that he made the Messie as a one of a kind, just as he made other vioins that look like nothing else.

That sort of makes me feel better knowing that people's work evolves, if they let it.

Which in turn helps me to forget the crap I made 15 years ago, and to focus on what is happening today.

There is plenty of research on the topic wireman24. Check out Stewart Pollens book on Stradivari and his website, the Strad has published several articles on the topic featuring John Dillworth and others (including results of dendrochronology analysis). The Strad varnish book by Brandmair and Greiner has scientific analysis of the Messiah varnish.

It was a Vuillaume until someone subjected it to acupuncture, and then ‘hey- presto’ and ‘abracadabra’; it became a Strad.

It'll never end...I've got it on good account (!) that you took care of it many times.

Throughout history, many belonging to one religion question the authenticity of another religion's messiah.blink.gif

Are you saying it wasn’t made by Strad, it was made by... ohmy.gif That explains the name.

I figured out the Pollens angle. He borrowed Roger Hargrave’s time machine, to get wood samples for dendro testing, but there was a transporter malfunction, and he was switched with his evil twin from a parallel universe. The evil twin was the one that dissed le Messie, but then David Burgess used his superpowers to set everything straight. That was Violin Heroes, episode 27, on Cartoon Network.

Sorry, must be the heatwave. rolleyes.gif

When I was a young man, my Greek teacher told me that it had been bruited about that the Odyssey was not written by Homer, but rather by another Greek with the same name.

When I was a young man, my Greek teacher told me that it had been bruited about that the Odyssey was not written by Homer, but rather by another Greek with the same name.

Absolutely right!

Homer could not read or write,

But he could spin a yarn! :)

Next time you're handling the Messiah, see if you can press your fingernail into the varnish down at the end button. If it gives, you're holding a Strad.

My varnish is soft does that mean I'm secretly Strad?

Wasn't there some tree ring growth analysis that proved the wood was the right age?

It was a Vuillaume until someone subjected it to acupuncture, and then hey- presto and abracadabra; it became a Strad.

I have heard it said that various violinists say that "it needs playing." What do you think of this? And the related question of how distinctive is the average Strad tone? I am concerned with two things. The ability to identify by appearance and sound and also about what kinds of changes may occur when "breaking-in."

Well, there was several people named Stradivari in the family... :)

I have a hard time believing the Hills would leave a fake to an important museum in their own country, Then again anything is possible. It would be nice if there could be a symposium of the most important people and shops that give recognized certificates around this instrument. It would be a good excuse to get together and talk about fiddles. I'm listening to Milstein play the Bach Chaconne while I am typing this. Those two boys (J.S.,and Nathan) had pretty good skills) I think he is playing a Strad as well. I saw Milstein play the Chaconne when I was in college, I still have a bow hair he lost taped inside my Bach album with the autographed program. It is sort of a holy relic :-)

Dwight

FKWG

there is a commonly held theory that the museum had a copy made, puts the copy on display and keeps the original in a safe, as presumably they pull the original out of the safe when the experts show up, it could explain the problem, not saying its true, though