Maestronet Forums

Instrument Acupuncture

hk1997

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing!LET'S MAKE HOLES!!

... or do any of an infinite variety of modification. If you believe in it strongly enough, you will hear the improvement, and even (with selective searching) find objective evidence that it works.

Oh happy day... everything is an improvement. B)

... or do any of an infinite variety of modification. If you believe in it strongly enough, you will hear the improvement, and even (with selective searching) find objective evidence that it works.

Oh happy day... everything is an improvement. B)

Judging from the replies above this is a prickly topic :P

Wouldn't it be better to use acupuncture on the musician until he hears what he wants to hear?

The two musicians have both been in my shop before.

EDIT:

DISCLAIMER

Article is provided "as is" without any warranties.

If this were an actual emergency, this broadcast would be followed by official information and instructions.

Musicians have been briefed on some questions before the show.

Studies have shown viewing this page causes cancer in laboratory rats.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

If condition persists, consult your physician.

Bruce

I have a new theory. I was looking at old violins and discovered most good sounding instruments have a crack or three in them somewhere. Without any research into why that may be, I am going to begin practicing violin chiropractics. Bring me your strads!

You have a theory. Not a new one though.

This reminds me of the violin maker I knew 20 years ago. She had, and probably still has, remarkable communication skills and intuition about people. Like all fortune tellers do.

She took my violin, played it. Then took a scraper and barely touched it to the neck. I did not see any shaving fall. She then presented it to me and said "There. Try that. It's much better."

Total nonsense, but if you happen to have the right personality, you would buy that hypnotic song and dance. And you would pay money for it.

I resented being taken for a fool, but I did not say anything to her.

This reminds me of the violin maker I knew 20 years ago. She had, and probably still has, remarkable communication skills and intuition about people. Like all fortune tellers do.

She took my violin, played it. Then took a scraper and barely touched it to the neck. I did not see any shaving fall. She then presented it to me and said "There. Try that. It's much better."

Total nonsense, but if you happen to have the right personality, you would buy that hypnotic song and dance. And you would pay money for it.

Interesting.

I may have met this girl.

It can be incredble how many people buy into this exact type of fiction.

About two years ago I had three makers visit my workshop trying to convince me of exactly this method of scraping the neck. They were convinced that even the tiniest scrape made a difference. The only difference I could imagine was that they would be making the neck uncomfortable to play. I wasted a whole afternoon trying to put them right, but I think to no avail. Quite honestly I think that this acupuncture guy might be the same guy or in some way connected. But I think that we have all wasted enough time on this theme. It's like any kind of faith. If they believe it you can't fight it. Let's do something useful instead. The only problem is, that all I keep thinking about is loony tunes.

Oh by the way, the girl I knew worked on your violin from a distance - it didn't need to be there with her, - she could work her magic from afar... (same girl perhaps?)

Hmmm... where does the Voodoo end, and reality begin? Plenty of people on this forum think that it’s the instrument that changes overnight, after adjustment, not their hearing... which medical science says does change overnight. Your feet get narrower overnight too, BTW.

What’s your shoe size? :lol:

About two years ago I had three makers visit my workshop trying to convince me of exactly this method of scraping the neck. They were convinced that even the tiniest scrape made a difference. The only difference I could imagine was that they would be making the neck uncomfortable to play. I wasted a whole afternoon trying to put them right, but I think to no avail. Quite honestly I think that this acupuncture guy might be the same guy or in some way connected. But I think that we have all wasted enough time on this theme. It's like any kind of faith. If they believe it you can't fight it. Let's do something useful instead. The only problem is, that all I keep thinking about is loony tunes.

We all have different talents. Look how much "mileage" some people have been able to milk in the last few months on certain threads.

"There's no such thing as bad publicity." Or as Oscar Wilde put it, "the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

As long as people are poking tiny holes into chinrests and fingerboards, have at it.

But what about poking holes into the permanent parts of the fiddle? What happened to the principle that any modification on an instrument should, if possible, be reversible? If you've poked holes into the plates and don't like the results, how do you reverse that?

Interesting.

I may have met this girl.

It can be incredble how many people buy into this exact type of fiction.

I met someone who believed (probably still does) taht changes could be made to sound of a violin by thought power. He borrowed on of mine to improve it. I managed to avoid telling him the truth (technically known as wimping out) as he seemed harmless enough and to genuinely believe in what he was saying. Lots of people hold what I think are stupid beliefs, they probably think the same of me... I only get cross when they start ripping people off.

Tim

This thread is interesting in many aspects.

A maker who no doubt understands the acoustics, beyond looking at some charts or numbers,.. shares what he is doing. This may be a part of marketing, or image building, yes possible..

But still fine, better and helpful than clicking on to the bridge and posting tons of mambo-jumbo with numbers curves that may have nothing to do with sound or acoustics.

My thumb is UP!

This may be great tool to investigate and to understand the acoustics further.

Every tiny poke, every scraper hit, every tiny shaving or even my saliva particles after sneezing, may change the sound, if the instrument is in such effective state acoustically.

Yes, a good functioning, sound-wisely educated pair of ears is a must to detect the change.

One possible side effect;

those who might have really different and good ideas may stay silent which is the last thing any body may desire in a free discussion.

I met someone who believed (probably still does) taht changes could be made to sound of a violin by thought power. He borrowed on of mine to improve it. I managed to avoid telling him the truth (technically known as wimping out) as he seemed harmless enough and to genuinely believe in what he was saying. Lots of people hold what I think are stupid beliefs, they probably think the same of me... I only get cross when they start ripping people off.

Tim

Well, I don't really remember her name.

But I do remember the bs routine. She even had a list of fameous violinists as "happy clients".

And I'm not exactly sure about this, (my memory - oh well) but I believe that this person was here on Mn some years ago, trying to sell her methodology to people. I remember a short discussion about the effacacy of her work, then, she quickly left, not to return.

I'm curious, does anyone else remember this happening?

My thumb is UP!

UP where I ask?

Every tiny poke, every scraper hit, every tiny shaving or even my saliva particles after sneezing, may change the sound, if the instrument is in such effective state acoustically.

'If the instrument is in such an effective state acoustically', I cannot imagine a touring professional being able to cope with the changes that will occur every time it rains or the sun comes out, or someone sneezes or farts. (Can we say farts on this site?) It is my experience that what players want is reliability, not changeability and inconsistency.