Maestronet Forums

Value of this violin

Florida Fiddler

The OP instrument is still a ca. 80 / 90 year old violin from Schönbach, regardless of any political convictions you might have.

Please post photos of comparable violins. I would sincerely like to see them. I only have a few Schönbach fiddles as well as what I am told was once a viol. I will try and start a thread about it with photos since I still don't know much about it.

CCM I originally dismissed your notion that the OP's violin could be Chinese, since I'd never seen the new versions, and it seemed hard to conceive that the Chinese would copy such a grotesque and unsuccessful model. I'm amazed to see the Ebay listing you posted.

I also think the inside of the pegbox looks worn in the way you'd expect a 100year old violin to be, and the varnish does look classic Schoenbach. But I've seen this on new Chinese violins too .....! I was also swayed by the pegs, obviously old and very typical of this era of Bohemian trade fiddle. But of course these can come from another violin ....

However, if the OP would post larger photos it would be possible to be 100% clear.

Until that time, any categorical statements on your part about this violin will just me met with derision I'm afraid ..... even if it's entirely possible.

That's Maestronet. Gotta love it.

CCM I originally dismissed your notion that the OP's violin could be Chinese, since I'd never seen the new versions, and it seemed hard to conceive that the Chinese would copy such a grotesque and unsuccessful model. I'm amazed to see the Ebay listing you posted.

I also think the inside of the pegbox looks worn in the way you'd expect a 100year old violin to be, and the varnish does look classic Schoenbach. But I've seen this on new Chinese violins too .....! I was also swayed by the pegs, obviously old and very typical of this era of Bohemian trade fiddle. But of course these can come from another violin ....

However, if the OP would post larger photos it would be possible to be 100% clear.

Until that time, any categorical statements on your part about this violin will just me met with derision I'm afraid ..... even if it's entirely possible.

That's Maestronet. Gotta love it.

It's unfortunate that you choose to be derisive. Perhaps a pleasant and respectful attitude would benefit everyone and perhaps even help your student violin business to do even better. I do, however, agree that more close-up and detailed photos would be helpful. I do love MN not for your derisiveness but for its free exchange of ideas without attitude.

Have I understood correctly; You have had this model reproduced in china? Is your name Thornton?

Nope, my name is not Thornton nor am I acquainted with anyone by that name. Let's see photos of comparable fiddles already! :D

Interesting that you choose to misunderstand me completely. I was being entirely supportive, both of your theory that the violin might be Chinese, and of your wish to be treated with more respect. Maybe I expressed this in a way that was a bit subtle. You have somehow interpreted sympathy as scorn. Perhaps it's because I referred to the model as grotesque and unsuccessful - if you have any personal stake in this model I apoligize, but I don't like the look of it, and the "Prokop" variant I'm familiar with is pretty erratic tonally.

So you return fire with some scorn of your own ....!

Fortunately my "student violin business" does not need your support, otherwise I'd be really hurt.

Please read my post again, you have got quite the wrong end of the stick.

I will make no further attempts to agree with you.

I will make no further attempts to agree with you....Fortunately my "student violin business" does not need your support, otherwise I'd be really hurt.

Thank you. I am glad by reply was successful at quieting you down! As far as this fiddle goes, I have no stake in it and it is not particularly to my liking. And I was not offering to support your business even though I like your inventory.

No Addie, it's "imitation Italian", the listing says so .....!

Well, it's that "is Stainer arching Amati inspired" debate. This being a GERMAN violin, is it part of a degenerate Stainer-Klotz tradition, or a copy of a tortured Amati, filtered through German lutherie experience, and labeled Amati? The closest I can find to this arching is Marcus Stainer (not nearly this bad), although I'm sure there are others with this exaggerated "scoop." If it were English, it would be by Motte and Bailey. tongue.gif

To me, it seems closer to a Tupperware arch than an Italian one. rolleyes.gif

clasp_tupperware_1.jpg