Sign in to follow this  
MANFIO

A nice video with our Melvin Goldsmith

That's very nice.

Knowing Melvin a little bit from correspondence, I would have expected something more along the lines of Goodfellow's chainsaw carving video.

Nevertheless, it's at a very high level.

Thanks for sharing! Grandfathers can be fine teachers. Nice to see and hear Melvin too. I have a similar background, but have not made the interest into a profession. I built my first at 13 with help from my grandpa and my father did the ink drawings and sold it eventually.

I very much like the attitude towards learning.

Very Cool Melvin

Nice to see your shop. Also nice to see your face and hear your voice. Face time often doesn't happen in this electonic universe. Even on film, its refreshing.

Joe

I really enjoyed watching that , at the end I was thinking it would be really nice to meet you one day Melvin

My Grandfather was probably my biggest influence when I was a child , and moments like these bring back memories

cheers Adam

Many thanks indeed! for all the kind comments. After the inevitable shock of seeing/hearing myself on video I was very happy with the clip as a representation of who I am and what I do.. flaws & all.... Glad to see it here for friends to see. To be honest I was very reticent about being filmed but Holly the journalist and Simon the cameraman made me feel really comfortable and were genuinely interested as artists in their own right. I had made no preparation and just treated them as normal workshop visitors..we chatted for a couple of hours and whatever narrative there is comes from the editing.. It was a nice experience and I was intrigued to see them at work also. I had imagined a film crew needing to set up lights or ask me to perform but it was nothing like that. Amazingly to me everything was shot on a Canon HD SLR camera with no need for extra lighting.

…............

what was that interesting color you were mulling there in the vid Melvin?

Oded 

Hi Oded, That was the redundant remnants of the colour varnish I used on the viola in the shoot. I thought it might be nice visually for the camera operator. The base is a Marciana type varnish. I add colourants and pigments once the ground is fully finished and only mix up with colour enough varnish for the instrument I will be varnishing because it does not keep so well.

Many thanks indeed! for all the kind comments. After the inevitable shock of seeing/hearing myself on video I was very happy with the clip as a representation of who I am and what I do.. flaws & all.... Glad to see it here for friends to see. To be honest I was very reticent about being filmed but Holly the journalist and Simon the cameraman made me feel really comfortable and were genuinely interested as artists in their own right. I had made no preparation and just treated them as normal workshop visitors..we chatted for a couple of hours and whatever narrative there is comes from the editing.. It was a nice experience and I was intrigued to see them at work also. I had imagined a film crew needing to set up lights or ask me to perform but it was nothing like that. Amazingly to me everything was shot on a Canon HD SLR camera with no need for extra lighting.

…............

I didn't see any flaws.

Melvin, I was curious about what is going on at 1:26? You're tapping something but it was covered by your hands.

The DSLR coupled with a good lens can be used to shoot a full high quality feature length movie. The quality is amazing.

Mel I love your hands, I know what I see when I look at them. You are like a mountain goat on the side of cliff, no fear and very sure footed.

Sorry, but how does the video play?

I had to wait a while for it to load, but it’s worth the wait. On the second link, un-click HD

Nicely done. cool.gif