Maestronet Forums

Final Auction Price for the Folinari Guarneri Del Gesu

GoldenPlate

The price seems low for a Del Gesu. Is there something not that great about this particular violin?

Dwight

I know the fiddle.

Appropriate auction price, I think... and I think the buyer felt they saw an opportunity. Well... actually the market itself proved it to be an appropriate price. Congratulations to Tarisio for yet another significant sale.

"The varnish restored."

Maybe Jason or Ethan will comment.

I think this, and the last Strad sale, as compared to the Lady Blunt, shows that there is more to value than the name of the maker. I think provenance certainly has it's value, but that does not fully explain the differences in value here. I'll stop now. Maybe the Tarisio fellows will comment.

I’m pondering the possible weights of the factors that kept the price down, e.g.

1. Provenance history

2. Condition--retouched

3. Early work

VS three pretty much bullet-proof certs and a dendro report.

VS, of course, the playing factors.

Did anyone play it? Martin?

How important is the retouch? I would think that the certificates would help the provenance history? After all they are all recent, not from 1880 or something.

I didn't play it but a friend of mine did - he said it was splendid.

I think there may be some condition issues, apart from the varnish. Also the label ... and the period.

People want to know a DG's been owned by a big name player ..... not been hanging around unsold in a major dealership for years!

All goes to show that the price has very little to do with sound quality.

The "Baron Von Der Leyen" was another disappointing sale - I think there was some major restoration, though without knowing what was on the condition report I couldn't possibly comment ...... I didn't like it to play, but I'm not a classical player B)

The "Baron Von Der Leyen" was another disappointing sale - I think there was some major restoration, though without knowing what was on the condition report I couldn't possibly comment ...... I didn't like it to play, but I'm not a classical player B)

I guess I don't view these sales (both in excess of $2,000,000) as all that disappointing. I think they simply illustrate what the buyers who are willing to go set public sale records expect, and the value level accepted for instruments that have some compromises are, in the current market.

The fiddles have been sold. In this instance, I'm not feeling it's my place to offer specifics concerning market history, condition/extent of varnish restoration, etc.. Jason & Ethan do visit the board. If they wish to elaborate and share their experiences/thoughts, and they feel it appropriate (they have the new owners feelings/wishes to consider as well), I'd rather give them the opportunity.

Well, I guess ultimately where we’re going with this is, are these $2 mil. instruments capable of giving $100 mil. performances? I wouldn’t be surprised if this one can. Hopefully it will be in a players’ hands, whoever the buyer was.

Re: Tarisio, I doubt they would consider it professional to join in now that the violin has sold. Potential customers want all of the facts before the sale... wink.gif It would be interesting to know what the handwriting says, though.

To me it works more as an F than a P (no closure in the top loop, and that little crossbar that looks intentional).

(P|F)a(n|r)n?d

I'm pretty sure it says 'Farmed', which would account for the low price.

The wild ones go for much more.

Andrew

I had the violin for sale for some time at my shop and agreed with a previous opinion that it was a repair signature of Felix Mori Costa

Thanks Chris! I feel better having the mention be made "first-hand". :) BTW: The signature and extent of varnish restoration is pretty well "known" by those in the trade that deal in these things. As I never saw a copy of Tarisio's condition report, I can't say what it contained.